Demolition questions

EverHopefull

Hi, I have had some good quotes for demolition and scrubbing out current founds, also removing the waste and scrub as well as asbestos removal by hand etc to regulations. The demo guy asked about services currently connected. Electricity and water and phone are still physically connected. He was not too fussed about disconnection and said his sparky would be able to move the MPN meter to edge of site, saving a fair sum.. Is this common? Water he suggested they will locate soon enough. Phone line could be rolled up neatly until new place in situ and then ask BT to sort connections. Again, is this common? Am I better off not asking any deeper on this subject? 

Water is fine and nobody seems bothered about the phone. But moving the incoming electricity supply should only be done by the DNO and there will be a cost for that.  If A.N.Other moves it and something goes wrong then they would be in very big trouble.

You have 2 options.  One is to move it to a temporary box and then move it again after the new build is up which will incur 2 costs. Or to move it to a permanent kiosk on the site boundary and when the house is built run your own cable from there to the new house.

If I plan to have pv monitors and other devices that have sensors on the meter would it be an issue to have meters kept at the edge of site? 

Moving the meter prior to or during demolition is something I have seen on someones self build blog but didn't think it was that safe to be honest. 

Most service heads (or supplier fuse connections) are secured using screws that cannot be accessed without breaking the seals. 

Short of moving the entire meter box in one go, you would have to somehow hope the whole lot could be moved off the boards without disturbing the cabling... and you’re dealing with a 500A breaker at the substation as your last line of defence as you will have no head fuse to protect you ...

If you’re clever and move the new box close to the point the cable comes into the property then you won’t have to pay for new cable, just the connection. 

Also be aware that some old types of service head are very dangerous things to meddle with. It is qiute likely when demolishing an old property that the service head will be very old.  Even some old types of supply cable can be dangerous as well.

As above, if demolishing and if meter inside or outside and will be moved then you need the DNO to relocate supply.

Just had mine done (SSE). I did my own trench + duct to new location + put up a kiosk for the supply + meter + consumer unit. SSE  (DNO part) did the connection into the new kiosk. The original cable was in what looked like lead protection and apparently if you cut into that you can quite easily short it. SSE charge was £411 (for 8m relocation) didn't ask their price to trench but imagine that would have been a lot more as has some unknowns and needs more equipment (guessing they won't hand dig). The meter was moved also by SSE as I happen to have them as my billing company FOC. Through some pain on the phone you can get them to come one after the other on same day - lead time was about 3 weeks from the survey by the DNO part. My electrician then connected into the meter + added some sockets into another kiosk I installed alongside - probably 2 hours for him. If you move it then you'll need to buy the hockey stick and maybe some duct - though may be able to not use it (not sure on rules there so OI got some as the survey mentioned it). In the pic the pile of sand at the bottom was put on after the resin was applied on the connection by the DNO before we back-filled and put in place the plastic tape to try and save someone digging through the cable.

My helpful neighbour has a digger at the moment so made light work of the trench digging!

image.thumb.png.e5514d59638220e19e319474bd5ced42.png