Counter battens

willbish

I found this picture on instagram interesting as Im soon to start a similar roof build up.

They've cut hundreds of small pieces instead of using lengths as counter batten.

Is the ventilation advantage worth the extra work?

Its an Australian build but don't they need to use treated timber

I'll be using GSE solar mounts and this method would work i think, and potentially allow increased ventilation and performance of PV panels.

What do you reckon?

92567F1E-BD28-46D4-889B-1C93DCDB78AF.jpeg

yes no reason why not --but suprised not treated as australia has termites does it not

bigger size batons than we use --looks like 2 x1--

maybe want bigger air  gap from tiles due to hot temps in summer

don,t think it would be cheaper

must be big tiles looking at spacing vertically -- but if aus  guessing its  a  tin roof 

Edited by scottishjohn

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

must be big tiles looking at spacing vertically -- but if aus  guessing its  a  tin roof 

Their Instagram page says 

Lower roof #wrb installed thanks to @carlo.vavallo (the #airtightness sensation). Battens at 450mm centers as this is only a 4 degree roof with #trimdeck roofing being installed. We don’t want any kinks in the roof. All done with #sigatape . Nearly ready for roof! #craftsmenqualitybuilders #passivehouse #passivhaus

and

#wrb installed on upper roof thanks to @wilburpomorin and @bren_hales - the boys have an excellent job! Some serious counter battens as we felt this was the most cost effective option. Still some taping to go and fascia and we’re ready for a #roof #craftsmenqualitybuilders #passivhaus #passivehouse #airtight #sigatape

Trimdek is indeed metal sheeting.

1 hour ago, Sam Barn said:

Hi mate, surely that would take so much longer for not much gain in ventilation? Need to spend less time on istagram and more time on the roof!

more than twice the gap of a 45mm baton --and some use 38mm batons

don,t see why it would take any longer at all--but not treated --idon,t like that 

chalk line the verticals and put straps where you need them

Edited by scottishjohn

1 hour ago, Sam Barn said:

Hi mate, surely that would take so much longer for not much gain in ventilation? Need to spend less time on istagram and more time on the roof!

Stuck on this bleddy tugboat so no chance of any roofing again today.

I don't doubt it would take an age. Especially as my batten spacing is 190mm for slates.

Just wondering why these guys thought it was a worthwhile use of their time. Perhaps the ventilation is a lot better.

I think the ends of the batten would regularly split when fixing.