Bathroom showroom

17 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Why go to a showroom with a view to spending money? I go to them to steal ideas and make money ;) 

Geberit WC frame on the 'net ~£200....in the showroom £300 +. You rich or summat?

Problem is I want to see and touch bath / sink etc . Nothing worse than something looks nice yet feels cheap .

Haggling skills will be at the ready but SWMBO overrules such ability !!

48 minutes ago, pocster said:

Problem is I want to see and touch bath / sink etc . Nothing worse than something looks nice yet feels cheap .

So.... acrylic feels like ...... acrylic ..

porcelain, well it feels remarkably like ... porcelain ...

You can “feel” quality with baths if you push and sit in them, and see if they flex, but I can also find you a decent bath for less than £200 (look at Trojan Baths) and it’s just horses for courses 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You can “feel” quality with baths if you push and sit in them, and see if they flex, but I can also find you a decent bath for less than £200 (look at Trojan Baths) and it’s just horses for courses 

Yeah but buying online means buying blind no showroom.

59 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Quickly looked at Trojan baths - not a single freestanding one under 400 .

Also you mentioned a ‘cheap’ geberit and toilet before . Nope ; doesn’t exist - unless you mean eBay with geberit walled cistern and cheap loo ( buyers complain how cheap the toilet is ) . So yes ! You can find cheaper ; of course you can - quality may be an issue though ....

Just now, pocster said:

Yep ; or haggle in store .

Good luck with that ....

Most of the smaller showrooms don’t get anywhere like the online vendor discounts. They don’t have the margins to give you anything more than 1-3% more than the ticket prices unless it’s a sale where they are shifting stock. 

Just now, PeterW said:

Good luck with that ....

Most of the smaller showrooms don’t get anywhere like the online vendor discounts. They don’t have the margins to give you anything more than 1-3% more than the ticket prices unless it’s a sale where they are shifting stock. 

Well ! I disagree . Went to bathstore got a quote . Managed to get the price down and match online prices . 

The number of times i’ve haggled PIR , scaffold boards , timber down etc. I can’t remember. Cheaper than ALL online almost certainly not - but near and delivery next day . If lowest price is your only objective then fine - shop around forever .

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Quickly looked at Trojan baths - not a single freestanding one under 400 .

Also you mentioned a ‘cheap’ geberit and toilet before . Nope ; doesn’t exist - unless you mean eBay with geberit walled cistern and cheap loo ( buyers complain how cheap the toilet is ) . So yes ! You can find cheaper ; of course you can - quality may be an issue though ....

Geberit frames - £125..? Here

Vitra Rimless Wall Hung - with soft close lid - £175 - Here

Freestanding bath..? £400-800 is about right so £400 is cheap..! 

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Well ! I disagree . Went to bathstore got a quote . Managed to get the price down and match online prices . 

You do know that Bathstore was a franchise and 80% of its sales were online ..?!! They make a decent margin on all the online stuff so not surprising they matched their own prices ... 

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Sorry - not sure what you are trying to prove !

If I know EXACTLY which geberit cistern I want them yes I can online search and get the cheapest .

Using your duff logic - I’ll just buy any freestanding bath ( as long as it’s the cheapest ) , any rimless toilet ( cheapest of course - even though YOU said rimless was pointless ) , any kitchen ( cheapest ) , any front door ( cheapest ) etc. Etc. Etc .

YOU want cheapest ! I don’t ! . But that doesn’t mean I want most expensive!!! ; as there is no upper limit for these things .

i am willing to pay more than “cheapest similar “ - that’s all .

The savings on my build were because of my efficiency and work - finishes in my opinion are subjective and should suit the value of the property. Would a 1 million pound house be ok with a 5k kitchen ? . Of course it would ; it’s just as functional. But when you try to sell it - that would pop up as an issue...

Edited by pocster
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, pocster said:

Using your duff logic - I’ll just buy any freestanding bath ( as long as it’s the cheapest ) , any rimless toilet ( cheapest of course - even though YOU said rimless was pointless ) , any kitchen ( cheapest ) , any front door ( cheapest ) etc. Etc. Etc .

YOU want cheapest ! I don’t ! . But that doesn’t mean I want most expensive!!! ; as there is no upper limit for these things .

So I’ve taken your “duff” logic and applied some real world to it. 

There are are essentially two Geberit frames - they are interchangeable and the only difference is the cistern on one has a vent take off. Pick one - they are £20 difference. 

The rimless I sent was for Vitra - very good brand,  not made in Eastern Europe like a lot of the porcelain, and is the mid range in most of your shops. I don’t want rimless, you do ... I found and example of what you were looking for ... 

Trojan are probably one of the best brands on the market for UK made heavy acrylic baths. Properly manufactured, not 4mm crap with some chipboard glued on the bottom. 

Happy for you to spend your own money, just passing on 20 odd years worth of experience of buying this sort of stuff to try and save you a bit ... 

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

So I’ve taken your “duff” logic and applied some real world to it. 

There are are essentially two Geberit frames - they are interchangeable and the only difference is the cistern on one has a vent take off. Pick one - they are £20 difference. 

The rimless I sent was for Vitra - very good brand,  not made in Eastern Europe like a lot of the porcelain, and is the mid range in most of your shops. I don’t want rimless, you do ... I found and example of what you were looking for ... 

Trojan are probably one of the best brands on the market for UK made heavy acrylic baths. Properly manufactured, not 4mm crap with some chipboard glued on the bottom. 

Happy for you to spend your own money, just passing on 20 odd years worth of experience of buying this sort of stuff to try and save you a bit ... 

Oh appreciated. 

Let me help you now .

My car is worth £400 at best ! What’s yours worth ? . Both do the same job going from A to B . I’m guessing yours is worth far more than mine and indeed cost more than mine . Just sharing my experience on cars I.e I don’t care as long as it does the job cheap as possible - I have no interest in cars . Perhaps bathrooms , kitchens etc. ARE more important to me ........

23 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I know what @pocster is getting at.

That UP100 frame limits you on choice of flush plates imo.

And that Vitra wc is plain fugly and then some. Those side recesses OMFG! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

My car is worth £400 at best !

I am now at the point when if I spend out on either car it's generally worth more than the car. Just spent circa £200 on a couple of drive shafts, a radiator, 2 diff seals and a pas pump by shopping around for a 2000 pug. Gets me out of the house!

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I am now at the point when if I spend out on either car it's generally worth more than the car. Just spent circa £200 on a couple of drive shafts, a radiator, 2 diff seals and a pas pump by shopping around for a 2000 pug. Gets me out of the house!

But ! You could argue better to fix an old car than buy another with unknown issues . Better the devil you know .....

Edited by pocster