are there drains on my plot?

Amateur bob

4 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

the existing pipe may be 20mm but i can put a t piece with a bigger size on it so i can run a 32mm pipe from that to the plot?

no... and no... fluid dynamics says your pressure would be appalling doing that. 

Find the meter, get a new dedicated connection, and do it properly so you have no problems. 

• Thanks 1

@Amateur bob might be a good idea to measure the water pressure and flow rate at the trough, if it’s good enough then bobs your uncle (pun intended) ?.if not new pipe back to meter on your land (decent size) you can do all the work and no road crossings to cost a lot.

Edited by joe90

7 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

the existing pipe may be 20mm but i can put a t piece with a bigger size on it so i can run a 32mm pipe from that to the plot?

will look ok at inspection --but flow will not be good and an accumulator and pump could be £1200-- so better to get it right first time

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

no... and no... fluid dynamics says your pressure would be appalling doing that. 

Find the meter, get a new dedicated connection, and do it properly so you have no problems. 

spot on  -- and i would run 50mm  or 63mm if a long way -- mdpe pipe is cheap 

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

@Amateur bob might be a good idea to measure the water pressure and flow rate at the trough, if it’s good enough then bobs your uncle (pun intended) ?.if not new pipe back to meter on your land (decent size) you can do all the work and no road crossings to cost a lot.

the pressure at the steading is very high its a dream when pressure washing sheds etc compared to our other steading

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

the pressure at the steading is very high its a dream when pressure washing sheds etc compared to our other steading, the metre is at the bottom of a neighbours field and 400 ish metres away

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

the pressure at the steading is very high its a dream when pressure washing sheds etc compared to our other steading, will building control come and check the depth and connection of my pipe or can i just get the pipe laid, filled in and push on?

21 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

the pressure at the steading is very high its a dream when pressure washing sheds etc compared to our other steading

Sorry I meant pressure and flow at the trough, if it’s good enough you could extend it to the site.

and when in the future you come to sell the house or the farm  --maybe 

you got a problem cos its not got its own services or water supply -- 

Do it right now 

and if when your parents  die --  and there is an argument in the will etc  and you have no wayleave for your water supply to your house  over that land  -- more problems 

same goes for road access 

do it right now 

Edited by scottishjohn

2 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

Do it right now 

This can be a real PITA to resolve on sale.  We bought a house without realising that it shared the electricity, water and sewage arrangements with a small carpenter's workshop that was next door.  Because of the way the pipes and cables ran it would have been a nightmare to give the workshop it's own services.  It wasn't picked up before purchase; we only spotted it when we noticed that the electricity bill seemed high.  I found an odd looking armoured cable in the garage, coming from our supply, and just isolated it, as I couldn't see where it went.  Next thing I knew was that I had the landlady who owned the (rented out) workshop knocking on our door to ask why I'd turned her power off.  I agree to fit a meter to her supply, and charge her for the electricity her tenant used, which was sort of OK.  The ultimate fix was that we bought the workshop from her a year or so later, so the problem went away.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

Do it right now 

and if when your parents  die --  and there is an argument in the will etc  and you have no wayleave for your water supply to your house  over that land  -- more problems 

same goes for road access 

do it right now 

if i ever sell it can i not just do it then or add a metre?, running a plastic pipe from shed to plot could be done in a morning

2 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

if i ever sell it can i not just do it then or add a metre?, running a plastic pipe from shed to plot could be done in a morning

you mean a mtere that you will then charge the new owenr for the water

i would not buy a house with that agreement --you might change your mind  and cut me off 

who knows how friendly you will be with the people in the farm by then  .

I am sorry but i am stopping replying to this thread

you seem determined to make problems for your self  in the future  ,by being so penny pinching now 

the plot needs to be a separate title and defined boundaries to the farm ,with its own access and services --anything else is just asking for problems 

time passes and peole especially relatives can do funny things 

you have no RIGHT in law to a wayleave for services,its an agreement  --so get it sorted out now

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

you mean a mtere that you will then charge the new owenr for the water

i would not buy a house with that agreement --you might change your mind  and cut me off 

who knows how friendly you will be with the people in the farm by then  .

I am sorry but i am stopping replying to this thread

you seem determined to make problems for your self  in the future  ,by being so penny pinching now 

the plot needs to be a separate title and defined boundaries to the farm ,with its own access and services --anything else is just asking for problems 

time passes and peole especially relatives can do funny things 

you have no RIGHT in law to a wayleave for services,its an agreement  --so get it sorted out now

Some people just like asking the same question over and over again expecting a different answer, unwilling to take advice that members have spent time giving. I seem to remember several threads about building a house for 1000m2 that went nowhere for weeks.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Alex C said:

Some people just like asking the same question over and over again expecting a different answer, unwilling to take advice that members have spent time giving. I seem to remember several threads about building a house for 1000m2 that went nowhere for weeks.

our house will be less than £1000m2. its 165m sq, so 165K budget. So far spent £25k on groundworks, £22k on steel, £7k on concrete pile caps, £7k on services and house to watertight is £80k. so around 19k left for 1st fix, 2nd fix, bathrooms, kitchen, doors, flooring, etc. I have informed the wife we don't actually need doors, electrics, flooring, a kitchen and can use a portaloo to make sure we come within budget. Not going well ? . Seriously, it will end up costing around £250k ish when complete which, given the extensive groundworks and piling foundations that were needed, will be fine. And yes this thread is going nowhere

2 hours ago, redtop said:

our house will be less than £1000m2. its 165m sq, so 165K budget. So far spent £25k on groundworks, £22k on steel, £7k on concrete pile caps, £7k on services and house to watertight is £80k. so around 19k left for 1st fix, 2nd fix, bathrooms, kitchen, doors, flooring, etc. I have informed the wife we don't actually need doors, electrics, flooring, a kitchen and can use a portaloo to make sure we come within budget. Not going well ? . Seriously, it will end up costing around £250k ish when complete which, given the extensive groundworks and piling foundations that were needed, will be fine. And yes this thread is going nowhere

what was the issue with the groundworks?25k not too bad for it!

• 2 weeks later...

progress with the electric estimate today, a strange quote though as ive been given a range 

The likely connection charge is anticipated to be in the range of £3,500.00 to £9,500.00, which are for indicative purposes only and does not constitute an offer of terms by Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks. The lower range is based on Scottish Hydro Electric Power Distribution plc providing 1x supply at 1 phase (minimum load) for the entire development based on customer carrying out all excavations on site. The higher range is based on Scottish Hydro Electric Power Distribution plc providing 1x supply at 1 phase and upgrading the existing transformer to accommodate new load request (based on 100amp supply) on site, based on customer carrying out all excavations on site.

1 minute ago, scottishjohn said:

assume you will need and upgraded transformer  

just to be safe with budget or is it a likely scenario? for some reason in the quote theyve sent me the cable runs from a pole towards my plot but stops about 30m short of my plot, do i run a seperate cable from there to the house myself or is it more likely an error theyve made? i marked clearly on the map exactly where house plot would be, thanks!

8 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

just to be safe with budget or is it a likely scenario? for some reason in the quote theyve sent me the cable runs from a pole towards my plot but stops about 30m short of my plot, do i run a seperate cable from there to the house myself or is it more likely an error theyve made? i marked clearly on the map exactly where house plot would be, thanks!

i would happily have you a bet that when they come to do it --they will decide it would be good if you paid to renew their old transformer . LOL

so yes take the higher quote as being the right one --only good news if its the lower one 

the last distance i am guessing they will want you to supply a ducting for the  cable that  can be replaced later ,if needed without having to dig up anything--  last 20m always has to be ducted on any supply 

If you know where and what why not get an actual quote that is fixed for 6 months  If that is not inside new house then you will need to make a meter house for them and then you run from that to your house

Edited by scottishjohn