44 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If anyone is interested I have been doing some measurements.

When i powered it up in "fan speed 1" for my upside down test, I was surprised how noisy it was and how much air it was pushing out.  now as a simple guy, I had expected speed 1 to be the slowest.  Don't be silly. Speed 1 is the fastest speed.

Also the one I have appears only to have 4 speeds available.

Same as ours, and it's a pretty expensive Brink unit (although admittedly you can adjust the volume/hr of each of the four settings).

6 hours ago, PeterW said:

So I spoke to my brother about anti vibration mounts for stuff as he does a lot of heavy machinery that also has sensitive control systems and the advice was always couple something light to something heavy....

To reduce the harmonics, the best way is to ensure whatever you connect to can't move easily. So an anti vibration mount needs something heavy and dense such as a paving slab. This - or chunks of it - can then be stood on the joists as the concrete dampens the ability for sound to travel.  

Useful tip, thank you.

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

So I spoke to my brother about anti vibration mounts for stuff as he does a lot of heavy machinery that also has sensitive control systems and the advice was always couple something light to something heavy....

To reduce the harmonics, the best way is to ensure whatever you connect to can't move easily. So an anti vibration mount needs something heavy and dense such as a paving slab. This - or chunks of it - can then be stood on the joists as the concrete dampens the ability for sound to travel.  

I think that what this does is to reduce the resonant frequency of the system.  It'll work best if the change in frequency is away from any frequencies the machine is generating.  Theoretically, adding mass could make the situation worse if it "tunes" the joists to one of the machine's frequencies (or a harmonic thereof).

8 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

what kind of filters are on the mitsubishi unit? are they washable?

Each heat exchange unit has two rectangular filters, so 4 in total. They are the sort of plastic mesh stuff that is used for grease filters in cooker hoods. So you can buy it in sheets and cut to size to make your own filters when they need replacing

Like Daves, mine has 2 units and I plan on changing the filter membrane on the extract side for something finer for the first couple of months to ensure all the construction dust etc gets caught and doesn't end up in the heat exchanger units

Filter media on a roll is pretty cheap too