Natural gas or air source heat pump

Lolliedog

A friend is building a new house around 2800 sqf. He want underfloor heating upstairs and on the ground floor. The house will be block built, insulated to a high standard and will aim to achieve high levels of airtightness.

The question is whether to go with a gas boiler or an air source heat pump. The gas is on the road outside his building plot. The architect is leaning for the ashp.

Will the costs be much different after complying with part L?

I am also interested in this as hopefully I will be in a similar position in the new year after 2.5 year struggle.

I would greatly appreciate all views on the above.

Edited by Lolliedog

My parents recently replaced a gas boiler that had 30 years of reliable service, could an ASHP last as long? A gas boiler+connection +some form of 'renewable' to comply may cost the same as the ASHP but maybe is more dependable? But before deciding they will have to get firm cost of installation and running costs of each.

We will likely be using an ASHP simply because we have no chance of mains gas and I don't want to sell my soul to Calor.

• Like 2

I think you'd struggle to beat the low capital and use costs of gas with an ASHP. 

Perversely, a poorly insulated home that can attract a higher RHI payment, may roughly draw even eventually.

I'm going ASHP only because gas is not available and it's competitive compared to oil or LPG. 

• Like 1

I have been off the forums for a while now as my motivation has decreased due to problem after problem. On returning to the forum I noticed that Jeremy Harris is not posting anymore. One of my reasons for joining this forum and preciously the ebuild forum was because of his posts. I sincerely hope all is well.

16 hours ago, Lolliedog said:

I have been off the forums for a while now as my motivation has decreased due to problem after problem.

I know the feeling well!!

16 hours ago, Lolliedog said:

One of my reasons for joining this forum and preciously the ebuild forum was because of his posts.

I thought the ebuild forum was precious as well.

I'll also be pleased if Jeremy returns.