Windows in icf

7 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

its All about force over area isn’t it. 

If you put your best high heels on and stand on that eps you will make a big hole in it, but if you stand on a chunk of 4x2 your weight will not have an impact. 

Yes. Normally for structural engineering (mechanical) we use N/mm2.  

Always allow a little safety factor, dont breach more than 2/3 yield of a material.  I'm quite happy to help with a calc if required also. 

12 hours ago, craig said:

18mm marine ply all around, that’s all you’ll need

Is the ply over the eps cavity closures or instead of?

I was thinking of something like the below image for mine - just waiting on door weights (triple glazed sliding doors) to understand if advisable to consider replacing standard Nudura EPS with something more suitable or adding a board of some sort (ply or Storbord as suggested). Will also see with door supplier exactly how the straps and aluminium angle are installed as their detail implies they fit under the inside and outside edges of the track but that would leave the central section unsupported by (I guess) 2mm or so for the whole length unless they place packers all the way along.

image.png.ae356f57e2512985962759841322bd3a.png

What kind of door? Are we talking lift and slide style? French doors? Entrance door? 50mm EPS looks a little on the light slide for a door in excess of 200/300+KG

Pretty certain it was instead of cavity closures, @Alexphd1 built with ICF and would advise how he did it. I would need to double check.

Edited by craig

triple glazed sliding doors so will be heavy - ref my point about waiting on weights/assess best option etc. I saw the calcs earlier and can run those when we have the door weights - but I've realised there is always more to this so will run by the SE as well - I recall him mentioning something about the movement being another factor to consider vs it being a static load.

What is the score if you have a long window and the ice isn't perfectly flat or the opening is out of level. Does packing the cill create a lot of small point loads or is it a case of once it's foamed below it's back to being once larger load across a bigger area?!

Our raft is a wee bit different with eps insulation under the concrete. I wouldn't sit the doors direct on the insulation we have eps300 (cant comment on the tougher stuff mentioned above). On the second house we will be using angle steel beam cast into the concrete raft sitting over the eps raft upstand to the sit the doors farther out in the insulation compared to build 1.