Telescopic ladders

K78

Thought buying one of these would be straightforward, but not so. 

The cheaper per ones from amazon, Makro and Argos aren’t safe at all. It is amazing they get away with selling them. 

I looked at telesteps. Not cheap but still unsafe. 

Are these just a bad idea?

Any recommendations?

Thanks

We discussed ladders here - though not really telesteps.

If I were concerned I think I would look for a UK or European branded one, and treat it carefully. Or find one that was a brand rebranded for the store - as Wickes do for sectional ladders (Youngmans?) and cement mixers (Belle?). 

Mine came from Aldi, and I am happy as I only use it for light duty mainly around home.

Sources to ask: Pro-Tradesmen doing their business, perhaps "Trade Rated" on SF.

I do not know how to check the mechanism, however I think one joint feeling weak would be a flag to replace.

Ferdinand

• Like 1

The whole principle of a telescopic ladder is flawed to me.  About the only time I see them is surveyors using one to look into a loft, and when they extend the thing and gingerly climb up it, I cringe.  If I have a proper ladder I would always offer it. They seem to use them purely so they can rock up to the job in a shiny saloon car that would not easily transport a proper safe ladder.

I have NEVER seen a tradesman, i.e electrician, plumber, joiner, decorator etc use one.

The principle seems to be lets make a ladder that folds up small enough to go in the boot of a car, and sod the fact it is a basically unsafe ladder.  It would be far better to put a pair of roof bars on the surveyors car and give him a proper ladder imho.

Now I will let the forum tell me one good reason to use one of these that I may have missed.

• Like 2

I have a set and used them plenty of times. I hate heights of any kind but never felt unsafe on the set I have if I'm being honest. Yeah sure they are more bendy than a normal set of ladders, but the great thing about them is ease of getting them through someone elses house, without much risk of scraping a wall.

Yes they are not a replacement for a good set of ladders, but they are still very very handy and I have no regrets buying them

• Like 1

I was at the NEC build show and was accosted by the chap that’s always there selling these things 

I politely said no thanks 

in any case there not allowed on building sites He got very upset and told me that someone had been having me on 

It’s years since I’ve seen a ladder on site Other than fixed to a scaffold 

Theres a reason for this 

One or two sites are even objecting to stilts that are over a mtre 

• Like 1

The thing is, a normal extending ladder has 2 very substantial hooks that hook over a rung,  You can see them clearly and be sure they are latched in place and can see if anything starts to move.

These things have TWO latches PER RUNG of a design that is hidden and you cannot see if they are latched securely or not, and do not know whether to trust them.

The danger is one latch failing and the ladder starting to telescope down while you are on it.

No, nobody has yet given me a single reason why I would want to trust my life to something like that.

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

‘This is what I meant re makro,  Argos, Amazon etc. Cheap Chinese tat with fake Eu marks have flooded the market. 

When I checked out telesteps (Swedish company), there were numerous collapses and a few broken backs. 

Ive been told the main reason tradespeople hate them, is that they fail to operate unless clean. Dirt, paint, plaster etc clog them up. 

I think i will will give them a miss. 

Your alternative is presumably a 2 or 3 sectional ladder that will fit in your vehicle.

I am happy with the Wickes own brands as they seem to be rebranded Youngmans - eg for the 3 section ladder and work platform I have had for a few years.

Ferdinand

• Like 1