Internorm locks

lizzie

I have a lock on one of my sliders that has never worked properly since the day it was installed.  Because of all the issues with the sliders it got overlooked in trying to solve the major problems.

Finally got round to trying to sort it today.  My local locksmiths came to fit my safe and look at the lock.  They say the cylinder is done for and needs a replacement, this means my slider only 'locks' on the handle not fully locked with key. 

Of course it's a warranty issue and locksmiths suggested I go back to Internorm but I have no dealer relationship since all the problems so will have to go to HO and thats not quick or ideal.  I asked locksmiths if they would just fit me a new one and I will pay.  All good except we are having a bit of trouble tracking down the right one....they may find it eventually but in order to save time asking here.  Has anyone else sourced one?

Is it a full cylinder or a half cylinder? Easy to tell, do you have handles inside and out (full cylinder), or inside only (half cylinder).

I’d go direct to Internorm with the issue, it’s covered under warranty. However, you “might” have a fight on your hands to prove issue always existed and is a hardware fault.

Otherwise, take sliding door handle off, take cylinder out. The cylinder size should be displayed on it. You’ll be happy to pick one up from usual suspects if need be.

I might even have one in the office. 

Edited by craig

2 hours ago, craig said:

Is it a full cylinder or a half cylinder? Easy to tell, do you have handles inside and out (full cylinder), or inside only (half cylinder).

I’d go direct to Internorm with the issue, it’s covered under warranty. However, you “might” have a fight on your hands to prove issue always existed and is a hardware fault.

Otherwise, take sliding door handle off, take cylinder out. The cylinder size should be displayed on it. You’ll be happy to pick one up from usual suspects if need be.

I might even have one in the office. 

Thanks Craig its a lift and slide door handle on inside only. Locksmith took cylinder out I didnt get a picture of it. 

Can have a try at getting it out again myself if its not going to mean I mess up door and then cant lock at all...... a bit scary that! Is it straightforward to get in and out? I didnt watch locksmith do it.

Yeah straight forward. Cover plate on handle, pull and twist left or right to uncover handle screws. Unscrew handle and remove handle and spindle.

On vertical side of door, screw at locking point which connects to the cylinder, remove and pull cylinder out.

37 minutes ago, craig said:

Yeah straight forward. Cover plate on handle, pull and twist left or right to uncover handle screws. Unscrew handle and remove handle and spindle.

On vertical side of door, screw at locking point which connects to the cylinder, remove and pull cylinder out.

Love your confidence in my abilities! Will have a look tomorrow. Thank you.

7 hours ago, lizzie said:

Love your confidence in my abilities! Will have a look tomorrow. Thank you.

I have the contact number of their technical guy who visits sites to sort the issues out and we have had a lot. Do you want me to send you his number and email by PM?

• 2 years later...

I have faced the same issue with internorm locks, nearly the same. My garage door was blocked because of the cilinder, it was a full cilinder and it was damaged from the inside, seems to me this issue came from factory, I got issues with my door from the very first day of instaling it, but the locksmith told me  those are unsignificant issues and the lock will work better in time as it need some time to fit the door. Gladly I was able to change the door lock by myself and since then I have no issues with it. Internorm did not replace the lock because as they said it's a mechanical damage caused in exploatation. 

Internorm typically come with keyed-alike Winkhaus euro-cylinders. I got useful info on how to order additional keyed alike barrels by emailing their UK support (Julie responded to my request):

Winkhaus UK Ltd
Customer Care
Telephone: +44 (0) 1536 316000, option 1
Mailto:           enquiries@winkhaus.co.uk

I would have replaced them all with Ultion key-alike cylinders, as they're much better security rating, but their largest size is 45 x 75 and several of the Internorm 3G doors need 45 x 85.  What a difference  1cm make!! Lol.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Catapulta said:

Have you called for a locksmith or did you do it by yourself?

Locksmith came out but could not gain access.  The customer was locked out with her baby.  I smashed a small triple glazed window at the back of the house.  It took a fair few blows.