Insulated pipe

I’m doing some planning and one method to plumb our house would be to use one of the pre insulated pipes, I’m looking at 22mm or 28mm anybody got any pros or cons on different makes, some of it is bloody expensive, but it’s not an area I’m willing to scrimp on. 

Any thoughts peeps. 

Eyewateringly expensive crap unless you buy the Hep2O one, and then it’s just eyewateringly expensive ...

Every hole you drill will have to be 50mm - that may compromise some of your joists. 

No-one makes a cover for elbows or tees, so you will have to buy a different product to do these. 

Buy self seal nitrile rubber insulation and just do it yourself when it’s installed. I could probably do a whole house in less than a day. 

• Like 2

I religiously insulated all pipe work but the more I think about it now it seems a bit pointless or at least much of it doesn't achieve much.

What are you hoping to do by insulating?

Maybe I can see it might avoid heating areas you don't want to but assuming it is inside the insulation envelope all heat from the pipes is going to further the goal of making a cosy house.

Hot water pipe lagging will achieve less than you might imagine since unless you are using the hot water pretty soon after a previous bit of use most heat will dissipate fairly quickly.

I may be wrong and I can't back it up with verifiable numbers but it is what my instinct tells me now.

The most important bits of pipework to insulate are the flow and return from the boiler / ASHP / (insert other means of heating the hot water) to the hot water tank, and then ALL the pipes connected to the hot water tank for a few metres away from the tank.  

The aim being firstly to minimise heat loss from the tank, and secondly to avoid the hot water flow and return from "heating" the house when you don't require any heating.

All our hot water pipes are insulated for the same reason to minimise heat loss into the house.

We tackled the delivery time of hot water from tank to tap buy careful layout and short pipe runs.

• Thanks 1

The most important one is actually the cold feed especially if it’s copper as you will get condensation on it and that will drip and cause water marks. 

Hot runs being insulated means you don’t overheat areas where there is a lot of pipe work. 

• Like 1