Do foundations first to get build cost idea?

Amateur bob

im looking at building a house 160ish m2, i currently have 25k savings outwith my current house, would it be a good idea to get planning and design established, then do the foundations before selling my current house or going to mortgage company?i would get a better idea of the total build costs once the founds are in and concrete slab established? 25k wold hopefully cover this, 35k if i sell car

If you are looking at an 80sqm footprint, on good ground and with just the founds,  drains and slab then if you are above £12k you need a serious check on costs !! Foundations are a small part of the cost - with traditional build, most are hitting around 60/40 split on structure to fit out so you have a lot of challenges even when out of the ground.

However.... If you start, the number of mortgage companies that will lend to you will decrease and you may struggle to get funding. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

im looking at building a house 160ish m2, i currently have 25k savings outwith my current house, would it be a good idea to get planning and design established, then do the foundations before selling my current house or going to mortgage company?i would get a better idea of the total build costs once the founds are in and concrete slab established? 25k wold hopefully cover this, 35k if i sell car

I don't see why having some founds in the ground will help you cost the rest. 

Assuming you know your ground type and size of the founds then you will know fairly accurately what your founds will be then everything else just sits on top and can be priced easily enough. My worry would be starting it, then costing it and discovering I have poured a house bigger than budget would permit.

Just cost it up.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

Build cost vary massively depending on fit and finish, how much work you can do yourself, if you source materials yourself and who you know. Friends in different trades are a big help.

Many say a insulated raft is cheaper than strip foundations but I’m not finding that to be the case. 

3 hours ago, Amateur bob said:

You are correct in thinking that costing your build will be easier when you have the foundations in

we spent 50 k to get to slab 265 metres plus two d garages All strip 2mtr deep BB on the main hose 

This covered a treatment plant All drains and tank and drains for the neighbour 

and 750 tons of muck away and as much back in 

So your figures make sense 

Foundations will be the most difficult to product 

Great starting point for the rest of the build 

I Came in at £8000 over for the foundations But pulled it back along the way 

and finally Came in about 20% under budget 

Good luck 

1 hour ago, nod said:

You are correct in thinking that costing your build will be easier when you have the foundations in

we spent 50 k to get to slab 265 metres plus two d garages All strip 2mtr deep BB on the main hose 

Good luck 

yes although like others say i might be less likely to get funding if ive started the build? out of interest how much do you reckon a treatment plant etc would cost for my size of house? does it get done at the start when the slab is being laid? thanks

5 hours ago, Amateur bob said:

Good luck 

yes it’s cheaper to install while the foundations are going in

Your looking about 2k for a treatment plant 

It took a friend and myself a morning to install our treatment plant and next doors tank 

and 2 cube of concrete for each to sit in

• Like 1

Depending what your classify as foundations.

I prefer the term groundworks: clearing site, muckaway, structural foundations, initial drainage (inspection chambers/soil pipes/surface water pipes) creation of access, bringing services into the house, creating ground floor (slab/beam and block).