inhibitor in UFH

jfb

I want to get some Sentinel X500 into my UFH pipes as slab may be exposed over winter and as general inhibitor.

I have just laid the pipe. If I put the inhibitor in first and then fill with water will I not end up with a pocket of inhibitor in each loop that doesn't mix in?

Is it only when pumped round that it mixes in?

I am not planning on sorting out the electrics for the pump till much later - and when I tried to bodge the pump on the only other time I have done this I blew the electrics on the pump!

Are the loops linked together ..??

I would go the opposite way and blow them through with compressed air and cap the tops with duct tape. Even if there is a little water left in them it won’t matter.  

15 minutes ago, jfb said:

I am not planning on sorting out the electrics for the pump till much later - and when I tried to bodge the pump on the only other time I have done this I blew the electrics on the pump!

What on earth did you do wrong to blow up the pump?

You don't want to run them dry for long, but they should not instantly blow up?

47 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What on earth did you do wrong to blow up the pump?

god knows.

water was in the pipes when I did it  and i think it worked for a while!

55 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Are the loops linked together ..??

I would go the opposite way and blow them through with compressed air and cap the tops with duct tape. Even if there is a little water left in them it won’t matter.  

4 way hetta manifold - can close off each loop independently.

I was hoping just to get the water and inhibitor all in now so it is one less job later on - not owning a compressor doesn't help

20 minutes ago, jfb said:

god knows.

water was in the pipes when I did it  and i think it worked for a while!

4 way hetta manifold - can close off each loop independently.

I was hoping just to get the water and inhibitor all in now so it is one less job later on - not owning a compressor doesn't help

Ok so how long are the loops ..??

4 way would indicate 400m of pipes max so that’s about 60 litres of content. If you then think you want to add probably 15 litres of antifreeze, you need to empty one loop entirely - not easy ..! Have you got a submersible pump ..?? A bucket and a couple of hoses and you could circulate the contents of each loop, and bin the first couple of litres into a separate bucket as you add the antifreeze into the pump bucket. 

• Like 1

After some failed heath robinson attempts at a gravity fed tank with a mix of inhibitor and water I have seen sense and just put the hose on and all seems well!

So I will have to drain it before it gets very cold.

thanks for the advice.

I filled all mine with a hose and a funnel.  Hose on top and bottom of manifold.  Open the valves for ONE loop of pipe at a time.  Pour water / inhibitor into top hose via funnel until it runs clear without air bubbles from the bottom hose.

Repeat for each loop of pipe.

+1

or buy a cheap drill powered pump to circulate water from a bucket through the UFH back to the bucket. Manifold usually has connections for garden hose.

• 1 year later...

On 05/07/2019 at 17:04, ProDave said:

I filled all mine with a hose and a funnel.  Hose on top and bottom of manifold.  Open the valves for ONE loop of pipe at a time.  Pour water / inhibitor into top hose via funnel until it runs clear without air bubbles from the bottom hose.

Would that procedure work for a system that is already in operation?

Ours has been up and running for a few weeks and I want to add some inhibitor to it. Can I just follow the above procedure or will there be more to it as we have a full, bled system at the moment?