Bungalow Extension

Hi,

We are planning to buy this 2 bedroom bungalow which we rented (for 5 years and emotionally attached). We would like to add 1 or 2 bedrooms.  And would like to extend kitchen as well as the current one is not sufficient for me. And we need one extra bathroom as well , either attached with bedroom or seperately.  Could anyone give an idea, how this could be extended? The plot is huge and I am planning to extend at the rear. The beauty of this house is, every room has a garden view at either front / back gardens and it's always bright and sunny. 

I don't mind a open kitchen with dining area , rather than seperate dining room. 

And what would be the approximate cost for this extension? We are living in South west. 

Or is it a better idea to go and buy a 4 bedroom house?

Please advice, as this is our first house and we have no idea, which is better option? 

Please excuse the picture, as I don't have the house plan. 

Thanks a lot.

house.jpg

Edited by Anitha

local prices for that house and something that would suit would decide which is best way forward.

a plan showing size of house  with size of plot and location of house on it would help people give  better suggestions 

2 more bedrooms and another bathroom sounds like half the size of the house you have ,which could be a problem to planning ,depending on other houses around you and plot size etc

so as well as checking price of a another bigger  house you maybe should approach planning and see if you can do what you want to  first before buying 

Edited by scottishjohn

11 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

local prices for that house and something that would suit would decide which is best way forward.

a plan showing size of house  with size of plot and location of house on it would help people give  better suggestions 

2 more bedrooms and another bathroom sounds like half the size of the house you have ,which could be a problem to planning ,depending on other houses around you and plot size etc

so as well as checking price of a another bigger  house you maybe should approach planning and see if you can do what you want to  first before buying 

Thanks for the reply Scottishjohn. We don't need 2 bedrooms. Just one would do. I thought of converting living area as a bedroom, extend 3 meters in the rear with bi folded doors, and have open type living/kitchen/diner. 

Another options is to convert the current dining room into bedroom 3, then extend kitchen/laundry room 3 meters rear side, and combine them into a kitchen/diner. 

I thought, I would get better advice here from experts.

I'll try to add some more pictures.

Thanks

If wanting to keep single storey then the most obvious is extend the corridor through bedroom 2 to lead into an extension built onto the left hand end.

Bedroom 2 obviously gets smaller, would it then be too small?  

This would add the extra space without upsetting any of the views from the existing windows.

EDIT: Just saw above post. forget that idea.

The only thing I can think of now is a second storey, or extend out the back of Bedroom 2 / toilet / laundry to make it an L shaped bungalow, with some re jigging of those 3 existing rooms to make sense of it.

Which side is the garage on?

42 minutes ago, Anitha said:

Hi,

We are planning to buy this 2 bedroom bungalow which we rented (for 5 years and emotionally attached). We would like to add 1 or 2 bedrooms.  And would like to extend kitchen as well as the current one is not sufficient for me. And we need one extra bathroom as well , either attached with bedroom or seperately.  Could anyone give an idea, how this could be extended? The plot is huge and I am planning to extend at the rear. The beauty of this house is, every room has a garden view at either front / back gardens and it's always bright and sunny. 

I don't mind a open kitchen with dining area , rather than seperate dining room. 

And what would be the approximate cost for this extension? We are living in South west. 

Or is it a better idea to go and buy a 4 bedroom house?

Please advice, as this is our first house and we have no idea, which is better option? 

Please excuse the picture, as I don't have the house plan. 

Thanks a lot.

house.jpg

Does the master and living room have windows to the side or only the front?

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

If wanting to keep single storey then the most obvious is extend the corridor through bedroom 2 to lead into an extension built onto the left hand end.

Bedroom 2 obviously gets smaller, would it then be too small?  

This would add the extra space without upsetting any of the views from the existing windows.

EDIT: Just saw above post. forget that idea.

The only thing I can think of now is a second storey, or extend out the back of Bedroom 2 / toilet / laundry to make it an L shaped bungalow, with some re jigging of those 3 existing rooms to make sense of it.

Which side is the garage on?

I dont think  we could do second storey . Garage is  next to Living room. But it is seperate.

Hi the_r_sole,

We are a couple and a daughter(13) and  a son (11). Currently they share the bedroom. It's high time we need another bedroom. this is our main requirement.

As you see in picture, we have one family bathroom and just a shower(wet) room. We really need one more bathroom. I am thinking of using the storage space next to wet room and extending the wetroom as attached bathroom to master bedroom. 

The need bigger family kitchen ( ideally with an island in the middle. that's my long time dream) with lots of storage space. I am thinking about demolishing the wall between kitchen/laundry room and have a bigger kitchen .

Now we have lovely light and views from all the rooms. that's what I like about this house. we have beautiful front garden and lovely flowers at back side. So, where ever you are, you have lovley views and it is always bright and sunny. 

If we extend at rear, I really want to make sure that our rooms are still bright and have good views.

I dont mind loosing the laundry room (incorporate washing machine in my big kitchen) . And I am open to have kitchen /diner. I am a person who loves cooking / baking. Mine is an Indian and English kitchen. So I have to store all the indian spices along with all the english baking trays and equipments. Even If I could accomodate a pantry room that would be great, but not essential.

The reason we love this house is , even though it is 2 bedroom, it is very spacious. it got good views. it is bright with plenty of light. It's close to station /shops. We have lovely neighbours. 

I think I pretty much covered everything.

Please let me know if you need any other details. 

I'll post some pictures in a while.

thanks for your time.

Your suggestions mean a lot to me, as I have to decide to go ahead and buy this house or leave the idea.

Thanks

Or, I am thinking about converting dining room as bedroom 3, add a orangery with a glass roof and move the dining there. This way , not much structural changes to the existing house. Please let me know your thoughts.

I have added front and back side pictures as well. Sorry, I dont have full view pictures.housefront2.thumb.jpg.b1087cef1d6355c9fb830b0de6f39e47.jpg

Thanks

house3.jpg

houseback1.jpg

houseback2.jpg

housefront1.jpg

We really need to see the house in its plot, and orientation ie where north is - which will get you far better advice.

The easy way is for you to do a screenshot from Google Maps or bing.com, and snip off the details such as Lat and Long to keep it anonymous, and ideally draw a line round the plot.

We also need to know roughly where you are (say eg "South Dorset" or "Stockport".)

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Thanks @Anitha that is useful. OK.

Briefly - nice bungalow on a nice spacious plot. I would not call it huge - if you build a 4m or 6m deep extension on the back, you will notice that the garden is smaller.

Caveat - obvs you live there so you have the info to discount things I get wrong. I am deliberately provoking you, here - though I hope with good ideas.

The biggest feature of this plot imo is that the sunny side is the road side, and your suggested back extension / Orangery will get very little sushine, unless you put a big priority on  

something with rooflight. The morning and evening sun are blocked by neighbours on that position. My kitchen extension on my bungalow is like that - North facing.

Unless you did some careful and fairly major work with steel beams on that back wall, you may end up with a long thin extension in the shade ?. Though it could be made to work. Mine - which was here already - works, though I would just like the house to be the other side of the road and the other way round.

For a different suggestion, I would think about an extension on the front following the profile of the gable, then knock through Living to Bed 3, and make the ex-bed 3 into the kitchen. Then you have kitchen -> dining -> whatever in one space (eg sunny lounge study). I would use the existing walls knocked open (how open depends on budget to put steelwork in) to define the space. And it would be spectacular to have exposed trusses for part of it. 

I think you  have on that side 4-5m to next door's building line, so it should be doable.

I *think* that the trusses are in the right directions to be relatively easy for wall removal.

You get a more coherent space, with far better sun, and importantly the ability to change the face of your bungalow to be different in the road.

I would think about having the front extension full height internally, and a storm porch on the corner with a corner post. Vertical cladding on he facade might work wornders.

You have the advantage that bathrooms are already both front and back, so you can put ensuites and family bathroom nearly where you want. So I would arrange the rest as necessary, and you get a nice living side + sleeping side plan.

I might do it in phases and open up the 2 rooms but not extend initially to eke out budget.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I thought  I had posted this reply yesterday so here goes try number 2.  But someone else has already made the same suggestion.

How about extending that front gable ended bit forwards, given the staggered nature of the houses in the street, I think there is a fair chance you would be allowed to extend forwards to the building line of your right hand neighbour.

That would give you extra living space and enable you to re jig the old dining room into another bedroom. If you could incorporate the kitchen in that extension that would further the scope for repurposing the old rooms. 

6 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Briefly - nice bungalow on a nice spacious plot. I would not call it huge - if you build a 4m or 6m deep extension on the back, you will notice that the garden is smaller.

Caveat - obvs you live there so you have the info to discount things I get wrong. I am deliberately provoking you, here - though I hope with good ideas.

The biggest feature of this plot imo is that the sunny side is the road side, and your suggested back extension / Orangery will get very little sushine, unless you put a big priority on  

something with rooflight. The morning and evening sun are blocked by neighbours on that position. My kitchen extension on my bungalow is like that - North facing.

Unless you did some careful and fairly major work with steel beams on that back wall, you may end up with a long thin extension in the shade ?. Though it could be made to work. Mine - which was here already - works, though I would just like the house to be the other side of the road and the other way round.

For a different suggestion, I would think about an extension on the front following the profile of the gable, then knock through Living to Bed 3, and make the ex-bed 3 into the kitchen. Then you have kitchen -> dining -> whatever in one space (eg sunny lounge study). I would use the existing walls knocked open (how open depends on budget to put steelwork in) to define the space. And it would be spectacular to have exposed trusses for part of it. 

I think you  have on that side 4-5m to next door's building line, so it should be doable.

I *think* that the trusses are in the right directions to be relatively easy for wall removal.

You get a more coherent space, with far better sun, and importantly the ability to change the face of your bungalow to be different in the road.

I would think about having the front extension full height internally, and a storm porch on the corner with a corner post. Vertical cladding on he facade might work wornders.

You have the advantage that bathrooms are already both front and back, so you can put ensuites and family bathroom nearly where you want. So I would arrange the rest as necessary, and you get a nice living side + sleeping side plan.

I might do it in phases and open up the 2 rooms but not extend initially to eke out budget.

Ferdinand

6 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Ferdinand

Thank you so much Ferdinand. I heard it's difficult to get planning permission for front side alteration.

But could you please suggest what would be the likely cost for this build? This is going to be our first property. So, I have no clue.

Another doubt is , won't the present living room become darker if we build another room in front?

Thanks for your help.

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

I thought  I had posted this reply yesterday so here goes try number 2.  But someone else has already made the same suggestion.

How about extending that front gable ended bit forwards, given the staggered nature of the houses in the street, I think there is a fair chance you would be allowed to extend forwards to the building line of your right hand neighbour.

That would give you extra living space and enable you to re jig the old dining room into another bedroom. If you could incorporate the kitchen in that extension that would further the scope for repurposing the old rooms. 

Thanks for your reply Prodave. Do you suggest to move kitchen to the front extension?

Thanks

Anitha

1 minute ago, Anitha said:

Thanks for your reply Prodave. Do you suggest to move kitchen to the front extension?

Thanks

Anitha

I think @Ferdinand suggestion above is best. He makes the valid point that the front gets the sun so that's where you want the living room.

1 hour ago, Anitha said:

I heard it's difficult to get planning permission for front side alteration.

That is often true, however on this one I think it fits in and enhances the streetscape, and is in keeping. So I would be optimistic.

It might be worth an informal conversation with the duty planner, or satisfy yourself that the other would work and keep this as a wildcard.

You make the valid point that the orangery would likely be permitted development, however.

It is very difficult to guestimate cost of either without knowing how much you could do yourself. After all if you get it for 25k under that will add 50% to your budget :-).

@the_r_sole is an architect so may have a better guestimate. But any numbers are +/- 50% at this stage on the guessing and it can also be +/- a third on finishes and variability of quotes. 

I would probably do the extension last, and swap kitchen and bed 3 first, and do bathrooms - that would still be liveable and give you the core of your need. Then pause and reflect. At that point you could still choose to do an orangery or my suggestion. 

I would aim to bring in room swap, knock through current bed 3 and lounge, bathrooms and complete kitchen for 15-20k to a decent quality in this area and doing some myself. But I have done a number of renovations, and a main contractor would happily charge you 60k+ just for that.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand