Adhesive thickness for 600x300x9mm tiles please

8ball

I am currently trying to pick out a trowel for some bathroom tiling but I am getting contradicting information about how thick the adhesive needs to be for my tile size which is 600x300x9mm, I will be back buttering the tile so would a 6mm notched trowel be adequate?

Never tiled before so wanting to make sure I purchase the correct tools for the job.

Cheers guys

2 hours ago, 8ball said:

I am currently trying to pick out a trowel for some bathroom tiling but I am getting contradicting information about how thick the adhesive needs to be for my tile size which is 600x300x9mm, I will be back buttering the tile so would a 6mm notched trowel be adequate?

Never tiled before so wanting to make sure I purchase the correct tools for the job.

Cheers guys

You normally go the thickness of the tile So 8 or 10 mil

Always back butter floor tiles But not that important for walls

If your walls are flat 

If you do bb use the smooth edge of the trowel Couple of mil is fine 

Always bag   mix 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nod said:

You normally go the thickness of the tile So 8 or 10 mil

Always back butter floor tiles But not that important for walls

If your walls are flat 

If you do bb use the smooth edge of the trowel Couple of mil is fine 

Always bag   mix 

So if I got a 6mm notched trowel and applied 6mm to wall and then BB'd the tile another 6mm that would be a total of 12mm of adhesive so should be OK yes?

7 minutes ago, 8ball said:

So if I got a 6mm notched trowel and applied 6mm to wall and then BB'd the tile another 6mm that would be a total of 12mm of adhesive so should be OK yes?

It will end up at 8mm most. A 6mm trowel leaves 6mm grooves. If you butter and groove then back, you’ll get a bit of build but not 12mm. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

It will end up at 8mm most. A 6mm trowel leaves 6mm grooves. If you butter and groove then back, you’ll get a bit of build but not 12mm. 

Really sorry but so new to this so if I'm being a bit dumb then please forgive me, I don't understand how I would only get about 8mm if I apply 6mm of adhesive to the wall and 6mm of adhesive to the tile back.

Because a 6mm trowel is a comb. 

If you apply correctly, you will get 6mmx6mm adhesive stripes separated by 6mmx6mm voids. 

Same on the floor means you won’t get a 12mm bed as the adhesive on the tile will fill the voids on the floor .... or near enough ...

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Because a 6mm trowel is a comb. 

If you apply correctly, you will get 6mmx6mm adhesive stripes separated by 6mmx6mm voids. 

Same on the floor means you won’t get a 12mm bed as the adhesive on the tile will fill the voids on the floor .... or near enough ...

Ah I see thanks for explaining 

6 hours ago, 8ball said:

For wall tiling there’s not much need for bb with the exception of heavy tiles such as limestone 

The bb is to make sure there is full contact Floors can be a disaster If you use a bag adhesive for walls Nothing will shift them 

Especially direct onto PB

If you use two 6 mild Yiur tiles will slide

As I say don’t use the inch side to BB It sort of defeats the object  

• Thanks 1

Dumb question and just a thought .

Could you not comb the floor with adhesive. Then comb the back of the tile offset ? I.e so tile adhesive interlocks the gaps in floor adhesive...

Or is that plain dumb ? ?

Not a dumb Question

Ive employed tilers particularly younger ones That have combed the backs of floor tiles 

The idea is to get as much contact as possible A smooth thin layer will do this 

• Thanks 2