Stud v blockwall

Need to make a decisions on some internal non load bearing walls and whether to go for stud or block. One of them is between the kitchen and dining room so will have kitchen units on that wall. The thing I like with block walls is the feeling of them sounding solid when thumped. I've never been in a timber house or can't remember ever being in a house with a stud wall that I paid any attention to. I have it in my mind that stud walls sound flimsy and echoey when thumped, but is that the case? Also what about noise transfer?

Cheers

Vijay

Cheers guys. Happy to use ply /OSB in the kitchen wall. I assume plasterboard can then be screwed straight to that afterwards?

In terms of normal stud walls (which I'll have in the upper floors, is there a way of getting them to sound solid and not hollow?

Vijay

6 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Cheers guys. Happy to use ply /OSB in the kitchen wall. I assume plasterboard can then be screwed straight to that afterwards?

In terms of normal stud walls (which I'll have in the upper floors, is there a way of getting them to sound solid and not hollow?

Vijay

Yes, screw direct to OSB/ply. Have a look at Viking house website which gives lots of info on various methods and different levels of soundproof-ness of stud walls and flooring.

Edited by joe90

Having just built stud walls with fermacell dry lining and insulation in the cavity, I find that you cannot get away from the hollow sound, though it is much better than plasterboard over stud. We lived in a brick house previously - it is a completely different sound.

Having said that, I am happy we have a good compromise. It is only noticeable if you start tapping the partitions.

Noise transfer between rooms is fine - just take care to treat gaps.

Edited by ragg987
noise transfer...

Thanks guys. It's only two walls downstairs as the rest will be load bearing block.

I appreciate your comments ragg987, good to know that there's still that hollow sound but it's nothing major. For the walls they are, I'll go with stud then as it makes the floor beams easier :)

15 hours ago, PeterW said:

Go down the route of Fermacell or the new Gypsum board and your stud walls will be solid. You can hang cupboards direct onto fermacell or just plan and put a noggin all the way across at the correct height.  

That new Gypsum board is very expensive and I'd say a sheet of ply/osb as a backing is cheaper. You could also talk to Gypsum*. They've a good technical team and lots of wall build up options including double layers of stud, acoustic board, resilent bars to improve acoustic performance, etc. Ask for the technical department not the sales department so you bypass sales reps and get the real answers.

*I've no affiliation with Gypsum but I've rang them a few times.