How to decipher wires in the loft?

8ball

Howdy people, I am on a mission to sort out and identify the wiring in the loft so as future lighting and electrical needs are a bit easier to complete.

I know nothing about electrics so identifying which grey wires are lighting or for plug sockets is beyond me so was wondering if there is a gadget that can help me identify these circuits.

I had this idea in my head of turning of all the plug sockets at the main fuse board and then going into the loft to see which wires are still live with a detector of some sort, hopefully this would identify my lighting circuits.

Any help on the above would be greatly appreciated,

Ta ;)

Tou need a voit stick or voltage detector pen. Something like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/fluke-1ac-ii-voltage-detector-pen/85949

Turn on circuits one at a time and use the pen to see which are live, and them label them with a marker pen. Note for lighting circuits, turn all the lights on when testing as some lighting cables will appear dead when the lights are turned off.

This, imho is the only use for these devices,  they should never be used to prove a circuit is dead before working on it.

• Like 2

It is unlikely any of the wires in the loft will be for anything other than lighting (some bungalows excepted). Check size by measuring carefully and comparing with wires near the consumer unit

most difficult is to distinguish between three core used for smoke alarms,  two way switching and double switches and ring main cable thickness will tell yo rather than width.

very big fat cabled can be for shower.

Edited by tonyshouse
  • Like 1

Thanks for the fast replies, the tester pen is just what I was looking for so I'll get one on order.

tonyshouse I did run across a few mains cables up there which is from the boiler cupboard with the immersion heater, honeywell controller and also power for the Monsoon shower pump;)

again thanks for the advice guys.

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I'll pass on that due to having to purchase rubber gloves and a hard hat which will be at least another 15 to 20 quid plus I'd like to keep whats left of the hair on my headxD

Capture.JPG

It's worth getting to grips with the basic permutations for wiring a single and multiple lights from a switch, from two switches (which you will probably have) and triple ganged switches (which you may have).  Recognise the difference between 2+E and 3+E cable profiles, and remember that lighting power is usually daisy chained so just because a cable is live doesn't mean that it is only for one light.  I'd also build up a basic layout map, so you can identify and eliminate cables as you go on, so that there are less options for the remaining unidentified ones.

This is also best done a a two person job: one to switch and one to test :)

Edited by TerryE
  • Like 1

On 12/09/2016 at 14:03, ProDave said:

Well if you really want cheap    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Voltage-Tester-Pen-90-1000V-AC-Non-Contact-Electric-Volt-Detector-Sensor-UK-/131754093686?hash=item1ead27ec76:g:bTwAAOSwmmxW6Wph

That's scarily close in looks to my Fluke!

20160915_161821.jpg

Straight from the Kyoto Dangerous Toy & Lawnmower Factory no doubt!

• Like 1

Physical size of the cable can give you a hint as to what it is, tbh it probably will be what you think:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.cablesbritain.com/pdf/powergen/booklet/6242y.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwihloPQ6JHPAhVsL8AKHX0YA2cQFgguMAA&usg=AFQjCNEjiv056x6g4wlzJAImbkd34RXx_A

BUT it's not guaranteed, plenty of diy lighting installs all done in 2.5mm etc from the boot fair!