Surround Sound Speakers

Stones

I've been busy running cable for surround sound speakers in our main room.  My good lady would prefer speakers a little more discreet than those i currently have, so I'm looking at options, in particular in wall / ceiling type speakers.  Has anyone any recommendations?  I've had a look online and of course there are plenty of different designs (and prices) available.  

The other option could be a sound bar, but without a rear wall for the sound to be bounced off, I'm not convinced this would be the best option.

I think you have a number of options for "discreet" speakers. Bear in mind my input is based on what I would want - i.e. critical listening / focus on sound quality - rather than just having sound in the room.

In-wall speakers, which gives you just a subtle front to look at. You need to take precautions to prevent the sound in the wall cavity getting transmitted through the rest of the house - e,g, build a sound-tight box inside the wall - depends on wall construction. Also, you have now "fixed" the layout of the room e.g. you cannot put furniture in front of these locations or turn your sofa to the other side.

In-ceiling speakers, same issue to guard the sound transmission through the cavity (very critical if you have a bedroom above). Probably the most "subtle" in appearance. I personally dislike in-ceiling as the sound is not directional. And it reminds me of dental surgeries.

On-wall, using flat speakers mounted like pictures. I have not heard these but understand that you lose bass. You can move the "pictures" if you wish to change room layout.

Tiny speakers on stands, on furniture or on a wall. Being small you will have no bass.

You can always supplement lack of bass with a small subwoofer hidden someplace - bass directionality is less critical.

Plenty to think about there.  My current system is built round hifi speakers acquired at different times.  Those speakers comfortably hold there own with both surround sound and music, but can in no way be described as discreet.  I would like to retain the quality of sound I have (albeit that's very subjective) and my concern if swapping out for a 5.1 discreet speaker package, is that the sound quality suffers.

The compromise may be retaining my existing main and centre speakers, but getting some new discreet rear speakers, which are less critical in terms of the amount of sound they are required to deliver.

Edited by Stones

This is definitely something to think about.

Present house has surround sound system for tv, all free standing speakers (though the satellite speakers could be wall mounted)  I don't like the theory of all the bass coming from one place, as technically it sounds wrong, but it does seem to work quite well. But for listening to music, I am sorry, nothing will get me to part with my pair of floor standing speakers.

If you want small but good speakers, I have seen (heard) some good results from Bose speakers. I recall walking into a hi fi shop once thinking "that sounds good" and was amazed at just how small the speakers were. The price tag wasn't small though, and I know some people detest Bose.

The "issue" for us is two living rooms, the open plan "familly room" and the snug living room. My inclination is to have the decent hi fi and big screen tv with surround sound in the snug, and an ordinary sized tv in the familly room, though it will want something better than the rubbish speakers built in.  So I guess I will end up cabling both rooms for surround sound just in case.

Likewise Dave im putting my main system out in a family room with the projector, in the lounge looking at a decent soundbar, the yamaha 2500 is coming down in price and has great reviews, possibly a sonos system for music.

its a tough decision but i see no harm in overwiring speaker cable to possible future requirements.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

The price tag wasn't small though, and I know some people detest Bose.

I fall into that category. I recall their subwoofer and satellites attempt from a while a go. There was a massive "gap" between the highest frequency of the sub and the lowest of the satellte. On top of this the sub could not reproduce low frequencies at all. In effect you were missing about about 4 octaves from the 11 humans can hear.

Can't fault their marketing!

When we did the barn conversion we put 6.1 speakers in the ceiling (thus 3 front, 3 back) and a floor mounted sub tucked in the corner.

Everything was very carefully designed including acoustically lined enclosures in the ceiling void.

We used Sonance units. it was 10+ years ago now so all the model numbers have been superseded.

http://www.sonance.com/in-wall-in-ceiling

However, it sounded amazeballs!

Alas the son of our current tenant has managed to blow the two front (stereo pair) so thats that well and truly buggered :(.