Jump to content

Alan Ambrose

Members
  • Posts

    3392
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    15

Everything posted by Alan Ambrose

  1. >>> who owns the CAD files and can I request them from the architect? If the architect was just doing look-and-feel drawings for PP, they they'll want re-drawing anyway for BC and/or construction.
  2. The result of the new rules following Grenfell where nobody wanted to take responsibility for anything is (wait for it) that people want to take even less responsibility for anything. Who would have thought.
  3. They were the architects but not the principal designers? I think they are taking the proverbial.
  4. I don't have a roof rack on my van, but can probably arrange for them to get to Kesgrave. Tile tape too?
  5. Funny how these schemes benefit farmers and other landowners, no? It's almost as though they were well represented in parliament.
  6. I'm planning to have some custom sills made, probably powder coated stainless.
  7. >>> other off-site land owned by the client I wonder how many BNG credits you get to the acre?
  8. Thanks, do the companies that supply frames with dual weather seals have their own aluminium profile or are they just selecting a 'higher quality' profile from the factory? Are the middlemen adding their own window handles etc? Presumably there are at least a couple of factories, no?
  9. Thought this was quite well written: The huge sums energy firms get to not provide power - BBC News
  10. I guess they're all just middlemen for a small number of factories. I wonder to what extent they add some design value and/or which have their own aluminium profiles. @craig - any thoughts?
  11. FYI we had a planning condition saying that the PP was only valid for self-builders. Bit of a cheek, as there was a previous PP which didn't have that condition. That's the doc though we send to suppliers though to demonstrate that we are self-building.
  12. re: 21 degrees - any one a bit put off by the fact that they don't look like window specialists? That is, they do heat pumps, PV, MVHR etc. Impressed that they supply PHPP numbers though.
  13. Thanks v interesting. I take your point about a bit of extra heat loss.
  14. Yeah, that's why I was looking for somebody who knows what they were doing... On a different subject: anyone want 90mm BT duct free - I have 3 x 6m lengths and a bunch of connectors? Also, some UKPN 'tile tape' - that is, the stuff that UKPN put over their ducts as a warning.
  15. And … out of the ground. Congrats.
  16. Thanks for the offer - I was aiming though for a bit of paper signed by an ‘expert’ to wave at BC.
  17. p.s. anyone know of someone local who does drain pressure tests?
  18. @G and J that’s under the other bit silly. Glatthaar are being less efficiently Germanic than I assumed they would be when I first contacted them 9 months ago. Right now have me in a sales Catch 22 that they say they don’t know their own way out of….
  19. >>> catastrophes Successes are interesting too . You're welcome to IP17 if you can drag yourself there. Should have my raft done by then. July that is.
  20. I think you’ve identified the problem. The solution is probably to move the entry pipe and add a bend before the inspection chamber a little so it’s working in the straight-through direction. It’s worth checking the falls to other ICs before and after if you can see them. Hire a drainage consultant and/or some groundworkers to do the job?
  21. Any takers for next Thurs?
  22. >>> Given that you’ll have a bloody great shed No shed on the PP, but hope to build one under permitted development I guess part of the rationale for self-build is doing stuff that pleases you. It would please me to be able to survey stuff that's there accurately and lay out stuff accurately (say within 5mm) whenever I chose. But I have spent a lot of time on youtube watching machinist guys on how to get 10 micron accuracy.
  23. >>> for being so square about this i.e. petrified or is this a fee grab? The logic is (from Grenfell) that the Gov wanted people to take responsibility for the work they did. Duh. Which means now, that they either want to be paid handsomely for routine paperwork / or run a mile, because responsibility was never and still isn't their thing. I'm PD on ours, which lots of people would thing is stupid of me. The main contractors as they rotate (groundworkers, timber framers etc) will be PC while they have control of the site - and mostly only have their own people there. >>> I would hate for your site to be shut down, you sued etc etc if something went wrong, so there is a real urgency in establishing who is the Principle Designer A bit of deliberate scaremongering, which suggests a fee grab.
  24. >>> Out of interest why did you need a surveyor for Given I'm a bit 'attentive to detail' I made a note on the way home today that I would buy myself a total station for the next build . Re the VAT thing - so surveyor marking our plot is VAT, builder marking out plot before doing something else is 'no VAT'. Perfectly sensible.
  25. Just found this, but I think it only applies above 50mph: 8815 Safety at Streetworks v1_12.indd
×
×
  • Create New...