Planning answer due in 1 week.

Big Jimbo

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I went to appeal as our planners wanted a smaller build, I reduced the volume a little by having hips not gables (I wanted this anyway as I read that hips give less noise in windy conditions!!). I won the appeal and the officer said our site was perfectly fit for the size I wanted.

Thanks Joe 90. That's the thing i want to know. can i present my alternative scheme with my appeal, having not offered it to the council first ?

12 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Thanks Joe 90. That's the thing i want to know. can i present my alternative scheme with my appeal, having not offered it to the council first ?

I don’t think so, you can only appeal a refusal. With mine I was on application number 3 and was advised by a local planning consultant to apply for a room in roof with two beds (which the planners indicated would be approved) but the ground floor exactly what we wanted for the three bed, two bath we wanted, that way we could get on with building and then appeal application number 1, which we won ?so we got exactly what we wanted from day one (only 18months wasted ?).

• Like 1

I believe it is possible to offer a modified scheme to the inspector but not an entirely new one. I know planning inspectors can approve some applications "in part". (Eg 3 wind turbines instead of 6).

I think all documents sent to the appeal officer are copied to other parties by his secretary's but it would be polite to send the planners a copy yourself.

• Like 1

M2, page 75, here covers it.

In brief : exceptionally, yes, you may  'evolve' the scheme, but

The Inspector has to consider if the suggested amendment(s) might prejudice anyone involved in the appeal. He or she may reach the conclusion that the proposed amendment(s) should not be considered and that the appeal has to be decided on the basis of the proposal as set out in the application

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

The other strategy I've done with this situation was to submit a new application for a different scheme using the "free go" after a refusal,  and at the same time appealed the refused application, really seemed to annoy the planners (won the appeal in the end)

Yes, similar to me, planners did not like it at all (as they lost their appeal).

• Like 1