Tapered Roof Insulation

OllyH

Hi all,

My self build is a flat roof single story L shaped bungalow.   The roof is quite complex in that the L is at 110degrees not 90 and we have a wing at the front of the property that leads off the main dwelling to a garage.

The total roof area is 257m2 but some of this is a overhang roof so I only need PIR insulation over 234m2 area.

I've had quotes from the main tapered roof suppliers and Kingspan have come out the cheapest at £6.5k (£27.77 per m2) to achieve an average U Value of 0.17.

I've then costed using 150mm Celotex PIR boards and timber firrings and this method was coming out more expensive.

Has anyone had any experience of tapered PIR?  They can be adhered to the OSB deck and GRP can be laid directly on the PIR boards.   Seems quite a quick and simple solution and in this case cost effective.

Cheers

7 hours ago, OllyH said:

[...]

Seems quite a quick and simple solution and in this case cost effective.

Our boards were designed by Kingspan, arrived neatly packaged. We had to 'build' the roof on the floor first. Once done it was easy to lay: took a morning.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Our boards were designed by Kingspan, arrived neatly packaged. We had to 'build' the roof on the floor first. Once done it was easy to lay: took a morning.

I see from your post that you had to cut some of the boards.  I wasn’t under the impression I had to do this.  I had better check.

This system seems like the way forward for me.

Thanks

Olly, I had forgotten the layers of trauma associated with this roof. Entirely due to carelessness on the part of the architect's specification sheet . Or rather the person who drafted it.  A dweeb in the office - a dweeb with no eye, or care for detail , and wielding that most dangerous computer tool (cut and paste)  didn't bother to change Min to MAX.  That was the cause of confusion in the thread referred to above.

Kingspan  deliberately  give you more than you need. Hence the need for just a little bit of saw work. Nothing to worry about.  I  dealt with a super guy at Kingspan. His name is Chris Perfect. I kid you not. Their back office staff were excellent too. Yep, its expensive, but ......