Where to put consumer unit

I'm rewiring a terraced 60s house.

The current setup shown in the photo.

At the minute the cables for the various rings go inside the cavity between the neighbouring houses at an angle.

Can I place the consumer unit on left hand wall so the runs can go straight up/down.

Even better would be if the consumer unit could be put on the back of that left hand wall as it would mean it would be in a cupboard, be slightly easier upstairs  and would avoid a gas pipe. 

tmp-cam-357358100.jpg

A smart meter is hardly any bigger than that old spinning meter.  Changing the back board that the meter and supply head is on is NOT a DIY job, it requires several DNO seals to be broken and I would not be opening that old supply head to do it.

I agree about the back board etc. The photo shows the area under the stairs, it is open to the entrance hall.

My plan at this stage is to get the first fix done and then I presume the meter will want replacing.

At this stage I just need to figure out if the consumer unit should go:

A) Where the existing unit is

B) On the wall under the coat hooks

C) On the other side of the wall that the hooks are on (cupboard)

If this is a rewire, not just a CU change, I would be guided by where is the easiest place to run all the cables.  The cupboard wall seems probably the easiest.

Run new meter tails with a bit of slack and a pair of Henly blocks to join to the old tails very close to the old meter, and encourage the meter monkey to connect your new tails into the meter when that is changed.