Raft foundation damage

Russdl

The raft foundation gang have been in today, loads of them and great progress. 

I heard a cuss as one of the gang had broken the upstand off a piece of the EPS which I was assured would be fixed. When I returned to site the fix was in place, but as you'll see from the pics the fix, using a bit of spare EPS, the depth of the upstand is reduced from the original.

We have GRP angles that will sit on the upstand and be keyed to the slab.

With the 'fix' there will be a small void between the GRP and that thinner bit of upstand. Should I insist on a replacement piece of EPS that matches the original or will it bit ok with the answer I'm expect when I see them tomorrow, that they will pack it out and everything will be ok?

Difficult to see in the pictures, but the depth of the upstand in the replacement piece of EPS is probably 20mm less than the original.

2016291315_Screenshot2019-05-03at21_48_58.png.55582b9da549ec21e8444258a76aa10c.png

IMG_5743.thumb.JPG.9ff5002b1973a0651f475fc0372385e7.JPG

9 minutes ago, Russdl said:

The raft foundation gang have been in today, loads of them and great progress. 

I heard a cuss as one of the gang had broken the upstand off a piece of the EPS which I was assured would be fixed. When I returned to site the fix was in place, but as you'll see from the pics the fix, using a bit of spare EPS, the depth of the upstand is reduced from the original.

We have GRP angles that will sit on the upstand and be keyed to the slab.

With the 'fix' there will be a small void between the GRP and that thinner bit of upstand. Should I insist on a replacement piece of EPS that matches the original or will it bit ok with the answer I'm expect when I see them tomorrow, that they will pack it out and everything will be ok?

Difficult to see in the pictures, but the depth of the upstand in the replacement piece of EPS is probably 20mm less than the original.

2016291315_Screenshot2019-05-03at21_48_58.png.55582b9da549ec21e8444258a76aa10c.png

IMG_5743.thumb.JPG.9ff5002b1973a0651f475fc0372385e7.JPG

Pity you live along way from me as I used the same system and I have a spare piece of the edge section left over. If you are attaching the GRP angle to the mesh in the floor slab then I cannot see a massive problem, just a lower level of thermal thickness imho

@Pete Thanks for the offer!

The GRP will be tied to to the slab via 100mm M10 bolts that will be in-bedded in the slab, so not directly tied to the mesh. I guess I'm just worrying over nothing - but that is my way!!

After my slab was poured all of the load bearing stuff (sole plate upwards) was inward of the eps upstand and laid according to a line marked from one end of the slab to the other. The thin edge of the EPS just has the membranes draped over it once everthing is done, so I don't think the damage to yours will make any difference. Where our lift and slide doors are located, the upstand was cut away there and a void shuttered out so that the windows would have a level threshold when they went in. We wouldn't have been able to do this if the thickness at the top of the EPS had to remain uniform.

Deep breaths, Russell, in and out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1