Wasps, 4 fox ache

i was probably a little younger say 9 or so, T-shirt and shorts, I didn't want the nest in my new den (an old very small garage), plan was smash it and run.

well i smashed it OK, but the running resulted in me tripping on a bramble as i ran out the door, face planted the concrete (which did enough damage) and then being swarmed by what seemed thousands of them, they even got inside my clothes. I was covered head to toe in stings.

the pain lasted for hours!! 

I joined the "poked them with a stick" club.

Our previous house had a wasp nest in the roof void above a bay window.

I put on all my motorcycle leathers, gloves, helmet, boots. Got SWMBO to tape up all the joints with masking tape. Then I squirted half a can of Raid into the void, before poking the nest with said stick to really stir things up, then emptying the rest of the can.

Sure they swarmed around me, but then never got in.

I nearly suffocated and sweated like a pig though.

• Like 1

To answer my own question, mostly dead. Not the thousands of dead wasps I expected and a nest the size of a space hopper. A few hundred dead bodies and there's a balloon sized nest tucked in the ridge near the brickwork. Small amount of moisture, well wasp shit, below it.

Noticed one or two still twitching so went and got the Raid AND powder. Blasted it and a short time later started to hear some buzzing within the nest. I have repaired to a safe distance until tomorrow.

I now have phantom itchiness as though a wasp has crept onto my person and is toying with me before stinging me. I am going to have nightmares tonight about being b***-f***** by a 6 foot wasp.

Edited by daiking
Lol, onto not into my person
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, daiking said:

I now have phantom itchiness as though a wasp has crept onto my person and is toying with me before stinging me. I am going to have nightmares tonight about being b***-f***** by a 6 foot wasp.

I just realised that I started scratching the wasp sting on the back of my hand while I was reading this! :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Onoff said:

Have you seen their nests up close? Works of art. The ultimate self build?

Goes against my Buddhist leanings to kill them tbh :)

I'm off to chew up some newspapers and build walls.....

No sympathy from me. Kill them, kill them all.

I'll probably leave the nest as its supposed to deter them in future.

Homeowner 1 Wasps 0

Seems like there's no activity now, cold snap and wasp powder should have done for them. Spent the afternoon laying the first lot of insulation which has made a massive difference already.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

We had a queen wasp in my lad's bedroom yesterday. The missus caught it and stuck it outside. No doubt it'll find a hole in the building fabric (there are many) in which to spawn next year's crop.

How can you tell?

Was she wearing a crown? Dressed like Freddie Mercury?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, daiking said:

How can you tell?

Was she wearing a crown? Dressed like Freddie Mercury?

She was walking two corgis with Prince Philip... :)

My youngest said "...it's like three normal wasps stuck together!"