DIY concrete planters

Hubby and I want to use quite a few large rectangular concrete planters around the place, typically 50cm deep and about 80 x 50cm area, as a minimum.

We've looked online and once you get to large sizes, they're very expensive and we probably couldn't afford any plants to go in them once we'd bought the planters.

How difficult would it be to make these ourselves? We've looked at some utube videos with what seem like varying of competence. Making a mould of the right dimensions is simple enough, but then it's a question of ensuring being able to remove the mould and the robustness of the planter itself.

Any thoughts, anyone?

22 minutes ago, vivienz said:

Hubby and I want to use quite a few large rectangular concrete planters around the place, typically 50cm deep and about 80 x 50cm area, as a minimum.

We've looked online and once you get to large sizes, they're very expensive and we probably couldn't afford any plants to go in them once we'd bought the planters.

How difficult would it be to make these ourselves? We've looked at some utube videos with what seem like varying of competence. Making a mould of the right dimensions is simple enough, but then it's a question of ensuring being able to remove the mould and the robustness of the planter itself.

Any thoughts, anyone?

We are also going to use large planters 

Have you considered Gabion basket planters 

• Like 1

Got a concrete pour coming up? Use the excess. We have the screeders coming next week: I'm trying to find time to make  a simple shallow 'tray' to absorb some of the excess.

Got an old, shallow metal kitchen bowl? Force some sort of container into the bowl during the pour

Got an old 25 litre liquid container? Cut the top off and force a couple of empty 5 litre containers into the 25 litre container during the pour. Pop a bit of scaffolding pipe through the bottom (drainage)

Etc.

1 hour ago, vivienz said:

Any thoughts, anyone?

like any mould --if you have to have  "draw" on it 

eg tapered it makes life very simple  with flat sides,If you want it with embelishment on it ,then its a multi piece mould . or uses a latex /rubber liner  ,that you peel off when its set 

I would be tempted to find one you like and make a grp mould from that -.

if its a complicated shape and then make a bigger  square box to go round it -suspend latex/rubber  mould in it and use 2 pack foam around it to support it 

fill with water or sand as you put foam in ,so it keeps its shape while 2pack pur foam sets

mix up your nice stiff cement mix -and trowel it inside to desired thickness

after its set 

remove from box and peel off the latex /rubber mould 

done it loads of times to make wierd grp bits .

Edited by scottishjohn

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Not a bad way to spend a couple of hours on the Isle Of Sheppey. Cheap as chips concrete garden ornaments and they last for years. Heavy though and no mail order. People including garden centres buy from here and paint them up then sell them for silly money.

https://whelansgardenornaments.com/factory-outlet/pots/

at those prices --you buy them -not make them --injection moulded -

Edited by scottishjohn

I made myself some balustrade pillars -after i saw the price of them

found a nice pattern plastic plant pot --a big one 

filled cement mix -and then used 2 of them to make wasted patterned balustrade pillars 

cost £3 each for a couple of plastic pots and --then just sand and cement .made  24 of them to make to around my raised outside barbie area

31 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Not a bad way to spend a couple of hours on the Isle Of Sheppey. Cheap as chips concrete garden ornaments and they last for years.

I remember going there years ago. Might have to take a trip over when I’m next down. 

52 minutes ago, newhome said:

I remember going there years ago. Might have to take a trip over when I’m next down. 

Straight over the new bridge and turn left down to the docks / industrial area where the scorpions live.

Still, nicer than Leysdown!  

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/04/2019 at 10:55, vivienz said:

Any thoughts, anyone?

Did you get anywhere?

we thought we would chance some galvanised steel planters as they are far cheaper but all 12 were packed up without any protective material between them for delivery so they are pretty much all scratched on top. Muppets.

Looking at options but need to be £50 a metre not £100+ a metre. Looking for something sort of 70-100cm long by 30cm wide and tall.

E6824CBE-8B38-4C5F-AC3E-E369AF13C56A.jpeg

Edited by daiking

You know how you use Postcrete? Pour it in the hole then top up with water? Its a very smooth mix, could it be used for this type of thing? Also very quick to set so you could do a few per day with only one mould.

Edited by daiking