Bedside Table

Onoff

With so many things to finish I thought I'd start a "quick" one for my boy as a bit of a diversion. So after 10 minutes CAD & with his input.....Not sure if a bit of old, freebie MDF cover board from the local wood yard counts as "joinery" though!

2016-08-28_06-04-09

Gluing with some "weight":

2016-08-28_06-30-04

54 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Bit low for a bedside table. Is that the result of sawing a bit of each bed leg in turn to stop the bed wobbling?

At the mo he balances his laptop on a computer chair dragged alongside the bed. So this takes it's cue from that.

Sanding & FINISHING tomorrow.....not a word I use often! xD

Edited by Onoff

Not so sure about this Gorilla glue I'm using as a change from D4. I ran glue in the housings then slotted in the spacers and weighted it all down. The spacer pieces are a nice tight fit. I then wiped the excess off with a damp rag like usual. Must have had to wipe the joints another half dozen times. With D4 it would have been one wipe and done. Almost like the Gorilla "expands" but it says it's not foaming.

13 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. It's a PU isn't it? Did you damp the joints with a cloth first ?

No, should I have?

Bottle says everything should be clean and dry and to apply glue generously. Specifically says "no foam" on the front. It's sorted now and no more oozing, just wondered!

Second picture above where the verticals sit down in the through housings across the base board. Glue KEPT coming out either side of the vertical pieces. Guess tbh was just the gradual compressive action of the tranny and tinnies weight forcing everything together. 

Just now, TheMitchells said:

is it going to have legs??  Are those holes for the beers? to stop them falling off the table?  Looking forward to seeing it finished:)

It's going to sit on an old office chair base. The small 70mm holes are for the Lucozade bottles of water he takes to bed - two for symmetry. The grooves are so he can nominally line up his laptop square on top. The big 127mm hole will be directly under the laptop vents. He'll put his radio controlled, "atomic" alarm clock and phone etc underneath.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Second picture above where the verticals sit down in the through housings across the base board. Glue KEPT coming out either side of the vertical pieces. Guess tbh was just the gradual compressive action of the tranny and tinnies weight forcing everything together. 

Sounds spot on ( with you having put too much glue in too me thinks :P ). 

36 minutes ago, Onoff said:

It's going to sit on an old office chair base. The small 70mm holes are for the Lucozade bottles of water he takes to bed - two for symmetry. The grooves are so he can nominally line up his laptop square on top. The big 127mm hole will be directly under the laptop vents. He'll put his radio controlled, "atomic" alarm clock and phone etc underneath.

A chip off the old block. B|

I've yet to grab a suitable chair base though there should be plenty to choose from in our works chair "graveyard" where things sit until there's  enough to warrant a slip. Might have a trial run on his existing chair base. Then it'll be a case of drill the bottom and affix, probably with large, shallow headed bolts of some sort. Hoping to get the right angled drill in the 125mm gap in order to csk or counter bore the face to sit the heads flush.

So.....one old office chair base:

20160907_064825

A few minutes work with the grinder zinging off the bits I don't want and dressing the sharp edges. Then a 35mm hole drilled with a Starrett dead centre of the original top plate:

2016-09-06_11-22-59

2016-09-06_11-23-32

20160907_051344

20160907_051323

The plan is to weld one to the other like this:

20160907_051417

Engraved on the (gas?) strut is something about not opening it up or exposing to heat.....bit late for that what with the grinding! Odd too as the top of the strut was originally welded to the top plate anyway. The welds are dog rough!

Might make a new top plate but keen to use as much of the old to keep the upcycling thing going!

As I don't need the up/down function any more I'll shorten the strut rod and thread the end for a nyloc nut. Basically just using as a bearing/smooth rotating shaft. It puts it at about the perfect height with the table top on. 

2016-09-06_11-23-51

Edited by Onoff