Floor plans advice please

Hello, hoping for some advice on this floor plan. Novices to this and afraid of making a mistake.

We have plans for a small open plan house and am struggling as to where to put the kitchen.

Think I am happy enough with the entrance area - small toilet and utility.

Indoor dining space is not overly important ( warm climate so eating outside)

We tend to eat in the kitchen at an island at the moment or outside.

Kitchen is currently placed on the left hand side on the plans but suggestions welcome.

I stuck on our settee and dining table to help me with spacing.

sorry about plans in French we are building in France.

I would be grateful for any advice 

image.jpg

Given the outdoor lifestyle I think the kitchen is currently in the best place for ease of access from the terrasse and with lots of ventilation along the tarrasse wall to allow heat to escape. I assume that is a pair of inward opening doors next to la cuisine?

It is interesting how the continentals highlight the area of every space. I find it frustrating that visitors to this forum upload house plans, that probably cost £10+k plus in architect fees, without any mention of total internal floor area on the plan.

I think a lot would depend where the sun  is. and where the view is. I am probably old fashioned but I like a view from the kitchen sink, not looking into a blank wall.

If you keep it there I would shorten the wall that the sink is against at the moment and change the left hand what I think is a door to being a window so the kitchen units could wrap around in a U with the sink against that window.

If the view it the other way, how about putting the kitchen to the right of the stairs?

2 minutes ago, ProDave said:

and change the left hand what I think is a door to being a window so the kitchen units could wrap around in a U with the sink against that window.

I have happy memories of living in France in a house with a kitchen that had direct access to a terrace through a pair of double doors, it works even at a Paris latitude. That house was larger so maybe the OP has to think through the practicality of storage/working space as you suggest.

THank you all for replying. Given me some food for thought. The garden/ view is through the double doors. The back of the house faces the road. The house is south facing. I am tempted to put the kitchen on the other side, so i have at least a window, a slightly bigger kitchen and more space for living/ dining. Downside to this is maybe further to terrace to eat ( but still not far, is a small house). Pellet stove may not be in living area ( will have to talk to architect - she said this was the best place for it - middle of wall right hand side).

Will have a think. Thanks for advice.

When you say it is South facing am I right in thinking you mean the terrasse is on the south side?

We had that arrangement and even with awning and shading it was very hot (it gets over 40 where we were) in the summer.  Our kitchen went out on that side too but in summer we tended to keep the shutters closed during the day to keep the heat out.  OK other times of the year of course.

TBH I think I would leave the kitchen where it is and make the living  sofa are in the other side to the right of the stairs.  It will be cooler and shadier. You could have indoor dining in front of terrasse windows and pellet stove between in middle where architect has placed it.

ah Lizzie, have been having this discussion (polite for argument!) with my husband. I dont want the living area on the right of the stairs at the back because i feel it is too small and a bit like a cubby hole. The dining table is not a big feature since we eat either at the island (at the moment) or the pennisula in this version -  think we ate at the dining room table less than 10 times all last year, so thought put this at the back to the  right.

1 minute ago, Annemay said:

ah Lizzie, have been having this discussion (polite for argument!) with my husband. I dont want the living area on the right of the stairs at the back because i feel it is too small and a bit like a cubby hole. The dining table is not a big feature since we eat either at the island (at the moment) or the pennisula in this version -  think we ate at the dining room table less than 10 times all last year, so thought put this at the back to the  right.

LOL sorry! 

I dont think I would put dining so far away from kitchen (even in a small room), you would be carrying food through living area even if rarely used.  Do you actually need a dedicated dining area if you eat at island?  If perhaps if you just had a folding table tucked away somewhere for occasional use you could use the whole area for living rather than zoning for dining. I can see why architect has put kitchen where it is as its easier (and cheaper) to keep all services in one area.  What is the first floor layout are your bathrooms above  the utility/kitchen area?

14 minutes ago, lizzie said:

LOL sorry! 

I dont think I would put dining so far away from kitchen (even in a small room), you would be carrying food through living area even if rarely used.  Do you actually need a dedicated dining area if you eat at island?  If perhaps if you just had a folding table tucked away somewhere for occasional use you could use the whole area for living rather than zoning for dining. I can see why architect has put kitchen where it is as its easier (and cheaper) to keep all services in one area.  What is the first floor layout are your bathrooms above  the utility/kitchen area?

Yes, i agree in principal, dining area is incidental and if i leave the kitchen where it is I keep living area options open. Good point about upstairs, i have not really looked at that much. There is a bedroom above kitchen at the moment and the bathroom is over the utilty area. The ensuite is over the other side on the terrace side, so that may make the decision for me then ( thank goodness) it may be difficult to put kitchen at the back on the right. Think I was ok with either option but not to have living room at back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

I think a lot would depend where the sun  is. and where the view is. I am probably old fashioned but I like a view from the kitchen sink, not looking into a blank wall.

If you keep it there I would shorten the wall that the sink is against at the moment and change the left hand what I think is a door to being a window so the kitchen units could wrap around in a U with the sink against that window.

If the view it the other way, how about putting the kitchen to the right of the stairs?

Will look at this, thanks

Get an industrial type island - friends have one in Spain, its a big chunky wooden topped island built over a steel frame with a series of shelves and cupboards in it. It is mounted on 4 big 6" rubber castors - they did this so it can be wheeled around the inside of the kitchen / dining and also wheeled outside as its made to just go through the doors. I'd suggest that those doors you have are a little on the small side (1.2m..?) and a 1.6m door would be better.

I would change the lower left set of doors for a window, flip the kitchen on the horizontal axis to put the sink under the window and make the peninsular worktop 90cm deep so you can use it as a breakfast bar.

I am not sure why there is a post in the middle of the room but at the moment it is impeding access to the stairs. If it cannot be moved you may be able to lose a tread at the bottom and add one at the top.

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I would change the lower left set of doors for a window, flip the kitchen on the horizontal axis to put the sink under the window and make the peninsular worktop 90cm deep so you can use it as a breakfast bar.

I am not sure why there is a post in the middle of the room but at the moment it is impeding access to the stairs. If it cannot be moved you may be able to lose a tread at the bottom and add one at the top.

Not sure what that is mr. Punter, thought it was just nothing, so good point I had best ask the architect. Did not think it was a post but maybe it is - that would have been a shock to be sure!

will look at the kitchen arrangement, so thanks!

Thank you. Mr. Punter for pointing out pillar - had not actually noticed it really to my shame anf havr spoken to architect and it is actually s pillar - we have got rid of it now! That would have been quite a shock.

i am still unsure about where the kitchen is though. I am tempted to put it in the top right hand corner. Any thoughts? Maybe add window to this side as well.

Also thinking about changing the doors out to the garden. Currently three doors to two bigger doors? The current door on the left would hinder the kitchen sincr the unit nearest this would probably be a high cupboard ( fridge or larder).

any suggestions?thanks

On 28/03/2019 at 18:53, Mr Punter said:

Thanks to

@Mr Punterfor that diagram is clear.

will consider that idea.