Flat roof.

Good afternoon Ladies and gents.

I want a flat roof.....1. I like them (The modern look)

2 I would like to put a shed load of salar panels on the roof, and with a flat roof, you would not be able to see them. (Which i prefer)

Problem.....................I am in the Greenbelt, and the planners won't like a flat roof.

Anybody have any bright ideas, as to how i might justify a flat roof ?????

Any help gratefully received.

I think Charlie Luxton and his new build home has a green roof combined with solar PV. I had a look to see if I could find you an update but couldn't find anything recent. The most recent video I found shows the process of checking the roof membrane is sealed but that's from 10 months ago. It must be finished by now.

11 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

I think Charlie Luxton and his new build home has a green roof combined with solar PV. I had a look to see if I could find you an update but couldn't find anything recent. The most recent video I found shows the process of checking the roof membrane is sealed but that's from 10 months ago. It must be finished by now.

Thanks Dreadnaught. I'll find it. I bet he ain't building in the middle of the Town Centre with his wallet.

Not sure that Bauder product really helps you as it raises the panels 300 mm.... for what... so green stuff can grow under the panels where nobody can really see it anyway.   Might it be better to argue the benefit of the flat roof is that it is low and makes your building less conspicuous,  and panels mounted at a low angle can be virtually unseen.

Why won’t Greenbelt planners like a flat roof?  

We are just about to submit our plans with a flat roof.  My archtechtural co were advising against it - we are green belt, 400 m from an SSSI and one of the few plots that is allowed to live on our plot.   They were advising that it was unlikely to be passed because of those restrictions. Our reasons for a flat roof are similar apart from the fact that I don’t like flat roofs but like the look of solar panels less!

Talking to a neighbour, they pointed out that another house had got PP down our road and used our current PP as one of the plus points.  Our current PP is for a pitched roof so the ridge height is higher than their flat roof would be.  The design and access statement talked a lot about visual impact and they had a lot of photos of the road scene.  They got their PP by default in effect - the decision was outside of the timeframe so was classed as  non-determination.  They appealed and won.  Hopefully that will allow our one through as well.

• Like 1