LED profiles: why the price spread : recommendations please

ToughButterCup

Following on from @readiescards post here, and @PeterW's recommendation in the same thread, we're looking for aluminium profile to carry the LED strip.

This supplier (recommended by Peter) sells alu profile. Is it me, or are there really some profiles 10 times the price of others? And are the more expensive profiles 10 times better?

BTW, I found this nice little video comparing diffusers for LED strips

Anyone got any SNOG  MARRY or AVOIDS?

• Like 1

This place is a little cheaper.

https://www.ultraleds.co.uk/led-aluminium-profile.html

I have one room that probably should have this, but I couldn't bring myself to spend a couple of hundred pounds on aluminium channels and diffusers.

Just to clarify, the £50 strips in the link you gave are for three packs, so they are around £8 a metre.

38 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

I'm struggling too. What benefit does a channel and diffuser bring? 

Errr .... diffused light ..??

Opal diffusers are designed to give a more consistent and less “spotty” light as they merge the light from the LED strips. This can be very apparent if the strip is either very close to a surface above, or is directly visible. 

Aluminium channel serves to create a structure to hold the strip and in some places creates the correct angle to diffuse the light. 

I got the aluminium top hat profile channel and diffuser cheap from my local electrical wholesaler. Much better light with the diffuser (white not clear) and essential if the led are near a reflective surface such as tiles or glass splashback.

30 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Aaah ha! Thanks very much indeed  @lizzie.

Tell me, what do you if a 'bulb' blows? Can you just remove the diffuser?

yes it can be removed. Light is led tape and has umpteen years lifespan (guaranteed replacement if a problem) so hopefully it will outlast me ?