Another plumbing rant. Pump valves.

ProDave

Another problem at the old house, heating tripping, Quick diagnosis showed the central heating circulating pump was faulty. I had a spare pump so it will be a simple 5 minute swap,

WRONG.

It has what I regard as normal pump valves, a bit like this https://www.screwfix.com/p/ball-pump-valve-22mm-x-1/51338

As soon as I started to turn the screwhead to shut off the valves, water starts squirting out from both of them.

Good job screweys were open so got 2 more to replace them and it was a bigger job, partial draindown etc.

I nearly paid the extra to get the "better" pegler ones, until I read a review warning that the thread on the pipe side was a finer pitch so you could not just swap it and use the old nut and olive.  that would have made it an even bigger job to change.  So probably next time the pump fails they will again be totally useless as an isolation valve.

@ProDave, not your week mate, never mind, soon be summer ?. I must admit we still have a house in Bristol that we rent out but it’s a 270 mile round trip to sort anything out, we are thinking of selling it and buying something local so I can pop over and sort any issues.

Edited by joe90

I'm ill and not doing anything so fingers crossed nothing goes wrong!

Crazy with thread pitches and I feel your pain. When I changed the two 2-port and one 3-port valves here from Tower brand to the Honeywell ones, only the nuts/olives on the 3-port were the same. I then didn't have a 22mm olive splitter!

Yes I am very much in the accidental / reluctant landlord category.  I really hope things will pan out as planned and that will come to an end within a year.  At least it's only 50 yards down the road when maintenance is needed and to be honest not that much has gone wrong.