Velfac windows

Jilly

Yes. Outward opening composite windows. Timber inner frame, ali sash. I like the unified sight lines so that fixed, reversible, side hung all look the same with a 50mm profile. Also look at Ideal Combi which is very similar. I cannot give either firm more than 6 out of 10.

I have IdealCombi and think they (slightly) better than Velfac.  Unified sight lines are harder to achieve across all units than at first appears so be sure to mention absolutely every criteria you have for each opening and explain how it’s constructed, especially thresholds, so they can establish viability.  Also be sure you fully understand the tolerance and packer they’ll factor into your built dimensions....the result might be a thin frame, but it comes at the cost of a thick ‘no mans land’ of compriband around it and no real gain in glass area over many other frames.  Also have them fitted by someone who is specifically experienced with them, not just a general window fitter....because they have their foibles.

Having said all this I’d recommend them, and had zero problems from delivery to fit, which seems a rare thing! (Do triple check IC’s order confirmations for accuracy though).

I've got 3g Velfac, no issues with the ordering process or with the product. All self measured, and self installed. As mentioned the measuring allowances need careful consideration but once you look at the detail drawings it makes sense. We had a small amount of damage on one door frame during transit / delivery which was repaired without argument.

Hi Jilly, I'm also getting quotes at the moment for 3G. Wide range of costs! My last one has £1,200 for silicone - made me laugh, though the overall price made my cry ?

My current house has Velfac (2G) windows and 3 floors of french doors onto terraces - after 12 years they are OK still - only issues I had to deal with are in relation to fitting. Though there is some corrosion to the metal parts on the doors  at the top and bottom - not sure what they are called but the bits that limit the opening size of french doors, we're near the sea so next doors I get I'll see what options there are for more durable metalwork.