Getting exciting at last!

Ok, so this week will be exchange of contracts and completion so I am promised....

My thoughts are churning now on the next important moves.

Straight after completion we will be getting meter readings and submitting them as normal. The house is unfit for habitation and will ultimately be demolished.

My first thoughts are as follows, feel free to give the benefit of experience to this novice.

1. Probably get the electricity supply switched to zero standing charge tariff or even disconnected by supplier. (EBICO still seem to have one tariff available)

2. Make the same arrangements for the water suply. Not sure about drainage proportion of water bill?

3. Arrange for 3rd party insurance on the risk of anyone harming themselves within the property boundaries.

4. Approach the council re Council Tax liability during the current phase of development. The local council seems to favour 100% discount for 1 month but I would like to work along the idea that it can be "made" inhabitable to the specification they desire to negate the CT maybe....

5. Look into the CIL situation. It reads as if a new build is exempt from CIL.

6. Get our chosen architect out to the site to get a "feel" for the plot.

7. Get the environmental/wildlife surveys penciled in (as advised by the architect due to location)

8. Take a deep breath and get on with something practical too!

Move the electricity supply to a permanent kiosk outside the current and future home. Somewhere near where the supply comes in on the boundary. Fit external power points to the kiosk. You will need electricity for all the work you will be doing and a permanent supply can be routed from the kiosk to the house eventually.

Locate the water supply at the edge of the plot. Sounds easy. Took us months to find ours..... you will need to be able to isolate it at the boundary when you demolish.  

Licate where the current rent house drains to mains drainage. You will need to block it up when demolishing to stop debris heading to mains drains.

Do do as much site clearance as you can. Cut back stuff. Put up fencing if needed.  

Have fun!