Better type of expanding foam

Russell griffiths

Morning all 

I’m building in icf block, so main material is eps panels, I have a few gaps joins that I need to fill

i have been using a standard gun grade low expansion foam supplied by the block manufacturers but I’m not happy with it, the surface of the foam is not very UV stable and becomes a bit dusty and brittle, I also don’t like the air bubbles in the foam. 

so is there a better product, I would be happy with no expansion just to be able to push into the gaps out of a gun or mix and push in with a spreading knife. 

What ya reckon peeps. 

is this to stop leakage on concrete  pour day ,or to replace missing insulation layer.

you could always apply a bit of render to fill the gaps?

It is one of my possible reasons for  not going down poly ICF route ,once i get to that stage -

-you can,t really keep doing it in bits and leaving it for months  without UV causing surface degradation  like you could with velox or durisol 

I dumped a durisol block in water totally submerged it for a day --then lifted it out and it took about a day to dry out again.                                                                                      that could of course could be a worry if durisol got totally soaked then it froze?

expansion of ice I suppose could damage the block possibly ?

always compromises

Edited by scottishjohn

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Morning all 

I’m building in icf block, so main material is eps panels, I have a few gaps joins that I need to fill

i have been using a standard gun grade low expansion foam supplied by the block manufacturers but I’m not happy with it, the surface of the foam is not very UV stable and becomes a bit dusty and brittle, I also don’t like the air bubbles in the foam. 

so is there a better product, I would be happy with no expansion just to be able to push into the gaps out of a gun or mix and push in with a spreading knife. 

What ya reckon peeps. 

Bubbles is due to speed of expansion - if you use a gun, turn it down so you get a very slow bead with the trigger pulled tight and you’ll find it gives more foam to gas so the foam is more solid. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

[...]

I dumped a durisol block in water totally submerged it for a day --then lifted it out and it took about a day to dry out again.            that could of course could be a worry if durisol got totally soaked then it froze?

[...]

A Durisol block is 86% air.

I have had 'raw' Durisol exposed to all weathers for far longer than expected.  Frozen while soaked too. I still have a stack of spares outside, uncovered for just over two  years

Nada. Nichts. Nothing. Rien. 

Boringly inert.

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

A Durisol block is 86% air.

I have had 'raw' Durisol exposed to all weathers for far longer than expected.  Frozen while soaked too. I still have a stack of spares outside, uncovered for just over two  years

Nada. Nichts. Nothing. Rien. 

Boringly inert.

thats good to hear