Proper shears to cut 25mm MDPE?

epsilonGreedy

15 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

For a single self build do I need to shell out £40+ on proper ratchet pipe shears?

If not would a careful hacksaw cut be ok? 

Don't use a hacksaw, it will bugger up the end of the pipe and damage the seals of the fittings when you come to assemble things.

For 25mm MDPE you can just about get away with using the cheap non-ratcheting cutter if you're not doing dozens of cuts.  I have both a ratcheting cutter and one like that which @joe90 has linked to, and, TBH, I prefer the cheap one, as it's quicker and only takes a tiny bit more effort to use.

2 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Don't use a hacksaw, it will bugger up the end of the pipe and damage the seals of the fittings when you come to assemble things.

Forgot to say when I used to use a hacksaw you would have to clean the swarf with a Stanley knife.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I used to use a hacksaw but use these now, https://www.screwfix.com/p/rothenberger-rocut-38-0-38mm-manual-plastic-pipe-shears/48561 read the reviews they are good .

+1 

I've even cut 32mm MPDE with these cheaper ones (which I bought for cutting UFH pipe) https://www.screwfix.com/p/0-26mm-manual-plastic-pipe-shears/59590

12 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Ratchet cutters are so clean and easy to use and if you install UFH or use Hep20 type pipe for plumbing later on they will always find a use.

Good point, I was not thinking beyond mains pressure water piping. I'm sold.

Just completed the Pipestock order before their 3pm deadline. Let's see if 50m of water pipe plus shears gets to the middle of nowhere in Lincolnshire tomorrow as advertised.

The Plasson pipe shears were £28 not the £40 I mentioned, I was looking at the non discounted column on the Pipestock web site. You know where to come if you need to borrow these, can also offer a 12 ton jack for static caravan leveling if needed.

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Forgot to say when I used to use a hacksaw you would have to clean the swarf with a Stanley knife.

I would have probably discovered that technique after my first attempted coupling started hissing and leaking at mains pressure. ?

Anyhow I expect some posh shears to arrive tomorrow for less than the hourly rate a plumber would charge to fix my hacksaw budged joints.

Edited by epsilonGreedy
  • Like 1