Big increase after electricity ‘Price Cap’ introduced

A while ago on this forum the price cap that Ofgem has introduced was discussed. I wasn’t sure what it would mean for me but I wasn’t expecting a huge increase, however today I learned that my ‘heating’ tariff is rising by 77% as a result. Ouch! Bearing in mind that in Jan 18 I was paying 6.132p and that’s increasing to 14.468p in Jan 19. So it’s more than doubled in a year! I’m paying 8.157p at present. The letter is wrong as they haven’t returned me to the tariff I should be on and the ombudsman has instructed them to return me to, but that rate ends in Dec so I suspect that I will be shoved onto this rate in January. 

111AAFA9-4C1C-4648-AEE3-F864123E819F.thumb.jpeg.6a5009833a1d025325da135d2307e06e.jpeg

B68941AE-D5E1-453E-BB50-B53E5724AE68.thumb.jpeg.3b0d10fdbf5dd5645ae9384352dd2dd6.jpeg

What are people paying on a ‘normal’ tariff for electricity? Their letter says that I can switch supplier without having to change my meter but I assume that means ‘if you can find another supplier that will accept you’. Given that I have 2 meters here do I have any options other than getting the whole lot ripped out and rewired? Originally the numbers didn’t quite stack up to install an ASHP but now I’m thinking that might be more feasible. @PeterW fancy a weekend of McEwans and bacon? ?

Just now, PeterW said:

That’s ridiculous ..!! 

Need a decent 3 phase ASHP and then move to a different supplier ...!

I will need to get the CUs ripped out presumably and replaced before I can do that? I'm guessing that only a single CU can be connected to a single meter? I'm trying really hard to not feel like they've done this to me because of the ombudsman case but given that they don't publish this tariff I have no way of knowing ... 

All I want for Christmas is.......an ASHP and a re-wire!

As an aside, my energy supplier at thr current house, Extra Energy, recently went under so even if you do get a decent tariff there's no guarantee that they will be around for its duration.

• Like 1

Worth looking at Economy 10 to see how that would work. Get an E10 meter installed by SSE and then switch to a cheaper provider. Fairly easy then to time all the heat inputs however I would think that there will be some supply side rewiring only. Worst case would be E7 and top the TS up at night. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, newhome said:

What are people paying on a ‘normal’ tariff for electricity?

We pay 27.95p standing charge + 12.327p per kwh.  For my electric usage of around 5700 kwh per year (DHW/Heating is gas), it works out at a blended rate of around 14.45p per kwh.

This is with Pure Planet in the central belt.

• Like 1

I am guessing you must be on Total Control tariff to get a 24/7 "cheap" rate for heating?  That is a long discontinued tariff and I thought it came with a high standing charge.

E10 may well be a better bet if you align the boiler times to the off peak times which come as a morning, afternoon, and late evening burst. The only problem time with E10 is early evening where if you need a boost then it's peak rate.

I did predict a while back that this cap would spell the end of a lot of the cheap deals, a case of "be careful what you wish for"  

I would also be having a stern word with your supplier, explain a "cap" means that is a price that you cannot exceed (and your tariff was not exceeding it)  It is NOT a price you have to raise all tariffs to reach.

• Like 1

Guest Alphonsox

Current Northern Ireland E7 rates for comparison

Economy 7

Standard rate

Ex VAT

Inc VAT

Night/heating rate

Day rate

Standing charge

21 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am guessing you must be on Total Control tariff to get a 24/7 "cheap" rate for heating?  That is a long discontinued tariff and I thought it came with a high standing charge.

E10 may well be a better bet if you align the boiler times to the off peak times which come as a morning, afternoon, and late evening burst. The only problem time with E10 is early evening where if you need a boost then it's peak rate.

I did predict a while back that this cap would spell the end of a lot of the cheap deals, a case of "be careful what you wish for"  

I would also be having a stern word with your supplier, explain a "cap" means that is a price that you cannot exceed (and your tariff was not exceeding it)  It is NOT a price you have to raise all tariffs to reach.

I’m on the Economy 2000 tariff that they no longer offer but I am left with the legacy of having a weird meter system that ties me to Scottish Power. 

How do I align boiler times to the E10 times? The boiler times are dictated by whether the UFH calls for heat afaik, although I can set the DHW times specifically so maybe that would word. 

Once bitten and all that, do the Economy tariffs use ordinary meters? 

I am going to write to Ofgem and ‘thank’ them for the big price rise and point out that their analysis was that Scottish Power was one of the companies that exceeded the cap the most so the ‘saving’ if you were with Scottish Power was likely to be more significant. 

An E7 or E10 supply has a single dual rate meter so you should be able to switch to any supplier that offers E7 or E10

But the rate they are charging you you might just as well have a single rate ordinary tariff?

Does your boiler connect to a buffer or thermal store?  The ones that work best with E10 are storage boilers.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Does your boiler connect to a buffer or thermal store?  The ones that work best with E10 are storage boilers

Yes, thermal store. 

5 hours ago, AliMcLeod said:

We pay 27.95p standing charge + 12.327p per kwh.  For my electric usage of around 5700 kwh per year (DHW/Heating is gas), it works out at a blended rate of around 14.45p per kwh.

This is with Pure Planet in the central belt.

And, right on time, I've just received an email stating Pure Planet's prices are going up from 15th January  - both Gas and Elec by more than 10%.

Edited by AliMcLeod
  • Sad 1