Settlement boundaries.

Olly P

I'm seeking advice on our current outline planning application. I have been told that it is "likely" that the officers recommendation will be for refusal when the report is presented to the Planning Committee meeting. This is all verbal at the moment but we understand that something will be in writing possibly next week from the development group manager that will explain things better. The reasons for a recommended refusal is because it is " beyond the edge of the settlement" and because of this it's open countryside. 

I've been doing some research and on the LPA website the interactive map shows no settlement boundaries ( only development boundaries - which there are non where our site is) . 

The current NPPF has no mention  of settlement boundaries what so ever. So how can a LPA determine where a settlement boundary lies and on what grounds? 

Our site is a field inbetween an existing bungalow and agricultural building. On the opposite side of the road is a housing estate.  Highways, parish council , arbricultrual officer, etc all came back with no objection,  literally this only issue Is the only cause for concern. 

The pre app we had done earlier this year regards the site as infill but out-with the established settlement boundary therefore classed as open countryside. 

If anyone could point me in the right direction as to find out where to get any information on settlement boundaries and if non exist, how to predict where they are that would be fantastic. 

21 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

there will be a plan in local council  showing all areas designated for housing and commercial development and that plan is reviewed every few years .

so ring council and they should direct you to correct part of their website--or just hunt it yourself

I've searched the whole website including every option on the interactive website and no settlement boundaries are mentioned. Development boundaries exist on the maps along with parish/post code/ flood plains/ green gap/ allocated development land etc but no settlement boundary. Looking at other district council websites they have settlement boundaries but not ours. 

It is all down to the local plan.

In my case the plot I found was in open countryside and not zoned for housing, so there would be a general presumption against development. However crucially there are 3 defined exceptions in the local plan here that would allow it, and my plot satisfied 2 out of the 3 (it only needs to satisfy one)

• Thanks 1