window film install

lizzie

I’m getting more confused by this film as time goes on, I had a quote from Solartek and they were going to put it on the inside of the window, I then got in touch with sun-x who put us on to the installers in Scotland, the chap came out and measured up but he was going to put it on the outside of the window, when I questioned this he said it would be no good on the inside as the heat would get into the glass and be bouncing back and forth between the two double glazed panes eventually causing damage. This sounded feasible and seemed to make sense so we decided to go with him, he was to come today providing it wasn’t raining or windy,  so today it’s sunny, the time for them coming came and went and I eventually phoned them to be told it’s too sunny today! I’m now starting to question what I should be doing here as when I look up where it should be fitted I’m getting results that say it should be inside as if it’s outside it will crackle, what advise can anyone give me on this?

Definitely put the film on the OUTSIDE, not the inside.  If it's put on the inside then it will risk overheating the glazing unit, as the chances are that there are inward-facing heat reflective coatings already inside that.  What the sun-x person has said is spot on.

We have a mix of films on the outside of our glazing.  Been on for a couple of years now and they still look and work OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Outside is definitely the proper way for heat reduction film.  You wouldn't want cracked glass!

Too sunny is also quite feasible, we did ours early morning whilst it was still in shade as there was a risk of the water used to keep the film movable and push bubbles out could dry before we had finished getting the film right.

• Thanks 1

Interesting looking at my potential need to sort out my south facing traditional bay windows, since mum has moved her bedroom downstairs and the rooms were running up to 35C when I measured it late August. The other one is my office. Expecting a sudden demand next summer.

The glass is 2G from about 12 years ago, and to replace 10 off of 450x900 units (ie the main windows not the opening toplights) with new ones with an anti-solar-gain outside pane would cost about £600 fitted, which might be a cost-effective solution given the extra lifetime over a solar film. Surprised at the relatively lowish price.

Edited by Ferdinand