Cable detectors and plastic pipework

TerryE

We are using HEP2O but the issue would be the same for PEX.  Use of cable detectors before drilling into any walls is becoming more common.  However I want to make sure that any vertical (non-metal) pipe runs are also detected.  Any suggestions for the most elegant  / simplest way of doing this?  IIRC these detectors use an capacitance based induction loop, so any conductive material will trigger a detection.  So is there a standard approach?  How have you guys done this? 

Perhaps the simplest way would be to run a strand of 2.5mm copper along side each vertical run.

Edited by TerryE

Just reading the Hep2O Installation Manual:

Use of metal tape to aid ‘electronic’ pipe detection
The NHBC Standards includes a section which affects the installation of pipework in walls. It states: ‘Where pipework is in or behind wall surfaces, and would otherwise not be detected by a metal detector or similar equipment, a metallic tape should be applied to the pipework’. The NHBC has agreed that other methods of installing tape are also acceptable, as any tape applied to plastic pipe or fittings will require testing to ensure compatibility with the pipe and ensure the adhesive will not pass through the pipe and taint the water.
Note: Metallic tape with an adhesive backing should NOT be applied directly to Hep 2 O pipe and fittings, but the following methods of aiding detection are allowed: metallic tape without adhesive can be lightly crimped around the pipe to allow detection by an electronic pipe detector, or adhesive metallic tape can be stuck to the backing wall as close as possible to the pipe run.

Edited by TerryE
  • Like 1

Thanks Terry - I'd have stuck it to the pipe if you hadnt added that bit.  Will stick the tape to the wall behind the pipe.  OH just said 'But I'll know where the pipes are as I 'll have put them there!  So no need for any tape at all.'

I've generally got a pretty good memory, but within a few weeks of putting plasterboard up, I'd completely forgotten where just about everything was routed.  Even though we took several photos of every wall before boarding, we've still had one or two situations where a crucial angle is missing and we've had to dig around.