Glazing defects.... How picky should I be?

MJNewton

I have just taken delivery of a 2.5m x 1.5m Korniche roof lantern and whilst I am very pleased with the frame two of the 'TuffX Ambience' glazing panels have some defects on the inside (i.e. within the cavity) as per photos below.

One has a 2mm diameter white mark (almost looks like a spec of paint!) on the glass and white powder on the black edge spacers:

Glazing G6 White Mark (20181027_114626).jpg

Glazing G6 Edge Marks 2 (20181027_114815).jpg

Glazing_G6_Edge_Marks_1_(20181027_114828).jpg

Another panel has a ~18mm mark (scratch/abrasion?) on the glass:

Glazing G3 Mark (20181027_112427).jpg

There may be other, smaller, marks on this one also.

Would you accept these panels? I have read the GGF Code of Good Practice on the subject of what is acceptable and it is, perhaps understandably and unavoidably, still somewhat subjective. I am mindful though that this roof lantern is intended to be something of a focal point, not just a means to let light in or us to see out, and so visual imperfections may have more of an impact than they would in a window. Furthermore, it will always be at most around 1-1.5m away in view and so an 'only visible when close up' consideration isn't all that relevent.

I have sent some photos to the supplier and so will see what they say but I thought I'd share my worries with the panel for comment. With this glass having a slightly blue tint do you think I could end up in worse situation if I insist on replacements given the potential for differences in shading between batches?

Edited by MJNewton

Our conservatory which we have just had built had a roof glass panel that had a scratch inside the double glazing so it was replaced. Other people might not notice it but you will, every time you look at it.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone; a unanimous opinion really helps. I've just caught a glimpse of one of the panels in low light and the white 'paint' mark *really* stands out, even at a distance. Anyone any idea what white substance is used in the manufacturing process? 

The supplier has just got in touch to say they've sent my email and photos off to the manufacturer so we'll see what they have to say. 

Mr Punter, its not low iron glass. The blue tint is a coating intended to help reduce glare. TuffX's version is called Ambi Blue. I don't know how it's applied but finger's crossed it is an accurately repeatable process.