Levelling the Soleplate

Blob the Builder

Another day, another topic....Today we're fixing our timber soleplate to our concrete block wall. We already ascertained last week that the blockwork wall was not level enough at various points. After reading stuff about packing underneath the soleplate regarding potential condensation problems, and difficulty in filling under the packed plate to achieve air tightness, i decided to get the brickie back to bed the soleplate in mortar. It's done and is level enough running around the perimeter, 18 m x 6.5 m. But it's off level running across the 145 mm of soleplate for a length of about 10m running down one long side. I'm a little upset by this, as not only is my internal FFL affected, but we're still looking at having to pack the sole plate !.......any ideas community?

I am not sure I quite get you but if it is not level you will need to pack it up completely level.  If you pack under the DPC you will later be able to gun in some mortar between the packers.  Do this from both sides to fill any voids.  If it is out of line you will either need to do a redesign on the frame or you may be able to overhang the soleplate by a small amount.

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

I am not sure I quite get you but if it is not level you will need to pack it up completely level.  If you pack under the DPC you will later be able to gun in some mortar between the packers.  Do this from both sides to fill any voids.  If it is out of line you will either need to do a redesign on the frame or you may be able to overhang the soleplate by a small amount.

Line is good. We drop 10 mm across the 145mm timber, so packing between timber and mortar the likely solution. With plastic packers, then mortar or sealant in the gaps?

Put a block on each end where it's level.  Wrap a string line around the block and  pull it to the other and wrap it round this.  Pull the block to tighten the line and  move it in to 10mm from the  edge of the  timber that is low.  Go along and  pack the soleplate up till it's level with the line.  Then go along and squeeze in your motar. 

21 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Put a block on each end where it's level.  Wrap a string line around the block and  pull it to the other and wrap it round this.  Pull the block to tighten the line and  move it in to 10mm from the  edge of the  timber that is low.  Go along and  pack the soleplate up till it's level with the line.  Then go along and squeeze in your motar. 

Way to go, thanks

59 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

If you are putting studs on the soleplate you can route just the pad areas flat. I did that on our garden room in a couple of places where the timber warped. Saved having to deal with the whole length.

On site constructed panels will sit on the sole plate.....been working on levelling it today, and we're getting there.