Permitted development rights: lawful development certificate

dogman

I am looking to build a small workshop/shed that falls within permitted development.

Looking online my local authority want a fee for a lawful development certificate and to check its within the rules. 

My question is can i just build it and not inform them?

Yes you can. Only question comes if someone complains and the council come and have a look and find you aren't within the rules.

So make well sure it is within the rules!

I always thought of a certificate of lawfulness, as a vehicle to record the fact you did something you shouldn't have done, and got away with it for the right number of years, and now they can't touch you, and it's a bit of paper to say so.  A farmer I used to know started letting "industrial units" in a barn and because he got away with if for long enough before the council noticed he was able to obtain a certificate of lawfulness and carry on doing it.  I would never think of applying for one for a humble garden shed.

44 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I always thought of a certificate of lawfulness, as a vehicle to record the fact you did something you shouldn't have done, and got away with it for the right number of years,[...]  I would never think of applying for one for a humble garden shed.

While I agree that the humble shed doesn't merit too much thought, there's a hint in the original post (...small workshop/shed...) that a Lawful Development Certificate may be useful. Context is important. 

Where I live there's a generally hostile 'feel' towards many local projects, even very small ones. Unless you have long-established contacts. There's a good deal of interesting ignorance-sharing at official meetings, locals who object-then-think-then-get-defensive. And the only way to be sure is to do-it-right.

Here's the Planning Portal stuff on the matter

Thanks for all the advice. The main use will be to store tools and have a workbench that are currently residing in our Garage( ;)workshop) 

i think i will risk it as i am a bit fed up paying fees to the council

But the OP hasn't built it yet.

If its within the rules, i dont see why you need a certificate? Other than peace of mind maybe. The rules on outbuildings are fairly (in planning terms) simple.