anyone know a Bricklayer ...MK area ...urgent job to complete ?

Ed_MK

Hi All,

I have been busy the last few weeks ...So you might not have seen me!

House is coming on ....But due to a last minute abandonment by my bricklayer ...

I have ONE pack / 500 to lay to complete the job .

All materials , mixer and scaffold are on site ..ready to roll ...but other trades are waiting now

so it has to be ASAP ...

Know anyone?...then please message me

After sending dozen of texts and paying for most of he job (including accommodation for far longer 

than expected) ...I was told that he "doesn't really do heights" ...its 20 foot max?!? and that the 

travelling is "too much for them"

Real issue is obviously that we should have made sure we held enough back until the job was complete,

now they cant be bothered with the last 2 days work and are fed up...the last day on site they laid 60 bricks

( i counted them) and then left me to point them up because of the "long dive back" ...So only doing 4 hours

and then basically sodding off ...you think they would have cleaned up ...? Nope 

Cement mixer caked in an inch of crud, tipped the last half a load over the roofing laths that belong to the roofer

So if anyone knows a good guy that wants 2 days work finishing a job (and can start urgently) please put them
in touch with me ...or me to them

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

I had one, .......... once...... paid him slightly over the going rate, got on well. And then he was gone Poooof! Gone.

This is the trouble Ian 

With most of the jobbers that we see on selfbuilds there’s little chance of getting them back if things go wrong

With Easten Europeans you have no chance 

• 1 month later...

I assume the work is all done and dusted now, but I feel for you,, the actions of the original bricklayers just make it harder for bricklayers like me to be taken seriously,,  

i have just finished buijding a couple of houses, on pricework,, the money was split into lifts, ( ground floor, 1st floor etc) and there was just as much profit on the gables ensuring everyone was happy to finish!    

Hope its all good now!  

• 2 weeks later...

It is thanks guys.

I think the moral here is look at the progress weekly.

I should have realised they were VERY slow after a few weeks.

Despite getting paid weekly ..We were still getting asked for "subs"

...in the end the job took over TWICE as long as we were told,

and i could see they were getting fed up. Frequently late, slack practises, rough work

I should have binned them off earlier ...my wife told me to .

It was a red flag that on some days they laid about 200 brick!

and the "labourer" (hmmm) carried bricks from one side of the site to the other 3 at a time in his hands,

just to pass the time 

once they had wheedled enough of the money from us, boom ....it was both got ill (strange)

wont be able to finish ....click ...no more contact

i made the mistake on looking at the both as friends (almost) 

...but i WONT let it happen again 

'Tis why I'll DIY 'till I die! :)

Get yourself a Bricky tool and have a go. Bloke in the video is a good lad who I've had a couple of email exchanges with. Purists will scoff I'm sure. My chippy mates borrowed the "Bricky" and were equally impressed. I've got the original one in the video but they do a double width / adjustable one now. (My gripe with the original kit was the ad said it came with a Marshall trowel and it was in fact a Rolson stamped copy. Pretty good to be fair. I emailed Noel, got a personal email/apology back and got the Marshall trowel sent out along with a load of freebies. The galv "clips" for holding the string line are superb. Now both trowels are worn I can't tell which is which). 

Edited by Onoff