AndyT ( Andy Trewin ) formerly of Sunamp

11 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

My main point, though, was that there's no electrical input needed to control the PCM's phase-change behaviour; as I understand it; that's purely a thermodynamic/chemical/mechanical thing, however it actually works?

I can't see any means by which the electrical control box on ours can do anything other than enable or disable power to the heating element.  There is nothing else that is controllable in the unit itself; ours just has a heating element in the base that's connected to a 3 core power cable, plus a string of temperature sensors fitted vertically into a pocket in the cell to sense the bottom, centre and top cell temperatures.

I can confirm that the older Sunamp PV we had worked, in terms of heating hot water on demand, with the power supply to the unit turned off.  That suggests that no electrical input is required for the cell to work, in either direction, it just needs control of the charge temperature so as to not cause problems with overheating the PCM.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

It is, but I’m not sure hydraulically how thermosyphon would work in a SA

Don't worry too much about thermosyphon; I was just using it as an example of not using electricity. It's not something any real person I know of plans to do.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 13/10/2018 at 00:12, mvincentd said:

Well on Wednesday they tried to tell me SA couldn't do heating AND dhw....then said they'd check with technical, and i've heard nothing since.  I don't see these guys solving any time soon the difficulties we're all having with the communication of good information on Sunamps.

Did you ever hear back from Eco Partners?

Im wondering if they might be a competent and reliable supplier and installer of solar Pv and a Sunamp

7 hours ago, mvincentd said:

No, I didn't...and so I stopped banging my head against brick walls for Sunamp support and gave up on the idea.

I’ve got the name and email address of the technical support person if you need it, PM me for it.