I Wunda what that noise is......?

Nickfromwales

.....I thought to myself, as I instructed my man to cut the excess tail off a coil of Wunda UFH pipe. 

He cut some more, the noise got much worse. What’s going on ?!?

We hadn’t hooked it up yet so a leak was impossible.......and then I twigged. 

The good folk at Wunda now sell the coils of UFH pipe pressurised with compressed air, and when I say pressurised, I mean pressurised. If you cut straight through you’d better be holding both pieces as it’s like stabbing a car tire ( probably ). They must have it close to 6 or more bar guessing by just how much air came out of a 100m coil.

I then noticed the pipe ends. They’ve basically got plastic plugs glued / crimped into each end to keep the pressure up and keep any crud out, and I assume this pre-pressurising benefits in a couple of ways. Wunda know the pipe is sound at dispatch, you know it’s sound when you get it, and if dopy gits with long screws or multi tools inadvertently damage the pipe after installation / floors down etc there will be an undeniable “whoosh” of compressed air to let them know. Can’t help thinking that would also be of benefit during Ufh at the slab stage too as the pipe is likely to be a bit less susceptible to compression perhaps. 

Folly, or first class. ?

42 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

DoeS that mean you have to use the whole length cos if you cut it then that's all pressure gone. 

In a nutshell. But if you don’t need to cut to connect and test then you could just coil the slack, zip tie and leave them as is. 

42 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

First class. Less chance of kinking a bend too...

Nope. They’ll kink in a wink of an eye as that’s too much point pressure. ;)  Just for general compression I’m thinking but good for first fix if no water / other means of testing after install.