Flat roof moisture sensors?

Mike

Does anyone have any experience of embedding moisture sensors in the substrate of a new flat roof, in order to detect future leaks? Or any suggestions of how it might best be done?

Not that leaks should happen for many years, but if/when they happen, it would be cool to get an early warning, rather than waiting until water damage becomes visible...

1) don't build it flat, 1:40 or steeper, 2) use a pitched roof at all costs, 3) moisture sensor will go offevery time there is severe frost or high radiative cooling, impossible to distinguish between this and a leak.

Edited by tonyshouse

Try and position the bog roll holder under suspect areas as I did more by luck than judgement, then when it's all wet having soaked up the water running down the walls it'll remind you you still haven't done that 'effin flat roof! xD

When I redo it I'll be taking into account all the good advice above.

On 21 July 2016 at 16:01, tonyshouse said:

1) don't build it flat, 1:40 or steeper, 2) use a pitched roof at all costs, 3) moisture sensor will go offevery time there is severe frost or high radiative cooling, impossible to distinguish between this and a leak.

I'd agree with your first 2 points, but it's an existing roof that needs replacing (not on my house).

Your 3rd point is quite correct too, but I'd not envisaged it being permanently in switch on - just manually switched on for a monthly test

On 21 July 2016 at 16:04, SteamyTea said:

Just get it properly GRP'd and you will not have to worry.

Except that it's a GRP flat roof that's failed prematurely. That's not to say that there's an intrinsic problem with GRP but, since it's formed in place rather than in a factory, it is (like other types of flat roofing) still subject to problems of sub-standard installation.

Edited by Mike