Bathroom snagging

2 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

It might help. Have you seen the access hole in the first photo though? I've since cut out the top left whole tile you can see and it doesn't help much and removing anymore doesn't help much due to the leg support and wall stud to fix the panel too. Its a bit tricky.

should have used plasterboard not 12mm ply 9_9

Not sure I understand the problem, where is the bath?

This tool let's you grab the tap locking nut and squeeze your hand between the bath and wall if it's a typical bath.

Maybe a good smear of plumbers paste between the taps and the bath and go for hand tight...

18 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Not sure I understand the problem, where is the bath?

This tool let's you grab the tap locking nut and squeeze your hand between the bath and wall if it's a typical bath.

Maybe a good smear of plumbers paste between the taps and the bath and go for hand tight...

I'll take another photo later but access is to the taps is via the cross shaped letterbox in the tiled bath panel.

I have one of these telescopic, Monument things:

shopping.jpg

It was invaluable when I had to change the taps on my parents bath, fitted in 1960! Tight? Poor access? I had to use a length of 25mm conduit to get enough leverage and bent the Tommy bar but it did it. 

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Get that one off Nick like mine that he launched! xD

Buy the monument one and see how long you keep your one afterwards B|

;)

The black rubber ends come off the Tommy bar so you have to glue them on. I went for a few turns of insulation tape tbh, so I can take the bar off if needed by simply removing the tape. :)

34 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just put the boards back down ;)

If there's no leaks and the water is getting where it's supposed to then it's ok to leave it imo. ;)

That's the after pic, this is before: 

image_16.jpeg

Several had been cut not at the joist, a few short sections of board had been 'destroyed' and temporarily replace with ply. so I cut them back to joists and tidied up. Also hoovered out the crap.

image_17.jpeg

But I can't screw it down yet... One of the downstairs lighting cables was burnt by the plumber so I need the simplest, to code method of jointing an inaccessible cable - screwfix/toolstation/wickes tomorrow

And there's still an old fashioned circular junction box on the smoke alarm but the smoke alarm circuit is useless anyway, its only T&E not 3&E.

12 minutes ago, daiking said:

But I can't screw it down yet... One of the downstairs lighting cables was burnt by the plumber so I need the simplest, to code method of jointing an inaccessible cable - screwfix/toolstation/wickes tomorrow

Wago block... :ph34r:

44 minutes ago, PeterW said:

how many do you need..?

Just a couple to cut this section out and joint. There not enough slack to cut it and take it directly to the light fighting. 

image_18.jpeg

The existing wrong JB is another problem for another time...

Edited by daiking

Just use some decent in line, heat shrink, self adhesive crimps with heat shrink over that. Here's a handy step by step I did:

SAM_7953_zpsc8ba2893.jpg

SAM_7954_zps27777115.jpg

SAM_7955_zpsabf8fc8a.jpg

SAM_7956_zps5af4b854.jpg

SAM_7957_zpsa06f0e4c.jpg

SAM_7958_zpsf3519a8d.jpg

SAM_7959_zps2363d60b.jpg

SAM_7961_zps23a36210.jpg

SAM_7962_zps5c6c5239.jpg

SAM_7965_zps23d99cf5.jpg

SAM_7967_zps2abf98e4.jpg

SAM_7968_zps8c859536.jpg

SAM_7969_zpsb0245a37.jpg

Note the use of a red crimp on the CPC because of the smaller csa.

.....or use WAGOs. I can give you the crimp stuff or WAGOs.

Edited by Onoff

@Onoff Great noddy guide but you can see why I would go down the Wago route :D I need a proper pair of wire strippers as it is let alone having to crimp and heat shrink. You wouldn't board over and forget that damaged cable, would you?

If the outer pvc is only scorched then I'd leave it tbh and just 'whip' it with white electrical tape. 

You could do more harm that good cutting and linking it through so if it's not burned to the actual coloured cores then don't go any further. 

If you want to protect it, just buy a choc box and use that as the mechanical protection.  

The first pvc layer over the copper is electrical protection, and the outer layer is for mechanical protection only. ;). Hence the phrase PVC/PVC when ordering cable types. :) 

1 hour ago, daiking said:

@Onoff Great noddy guide but you can see why I would go down the Wago route :D I need a proper pair of wire strippers as it is let alone having to crimp and heat shrink. You wouldn't board over and forget that damaged cable, would you?

If I could guarantee against vermin then yes I personally would. I'd rather it clipped direct too. I'd also plaster it straight into a wall chase if the cable was run in the recognised zone. And again no probs in conduit/trunking. 

Crimping with an "appropriate compression" tool along with soldering, brazing and welding are recognised as being acceptable by the regs as not requiring future access. You might come across a term "mf" or maintenance free which any screw terminal isn't. Tbh this type of join is pretty common. Needs to be done well and pass it's dead tests etc.

Try getting a WAGO box in a narrow wall chase easily!

Edited by Onoff

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

If I could guarantee against vermin then yes I personally would. I'd rather it clipped direct too. I'd also plaster it straight into a wall chase if the cable was run in the recognised zone. And again no probs in conduit/trunking. 

Crimping with an "appropriate compression" tool along with soldering, brazing and welding are recognised as being acceptable by the regs as not requiring future access. You might come across a term "mf" or maintenance free which any screw terminal isn't. Tbh this type of join is pretty common. Needs to be done well and pass it's dead tests etc.

Try getting a WAGO box in a narrow wall chase easily!

You'd leave this? 

image_19.jpeg

I'd be more than happy to not have to do something with this. Its first floor so very unlikely to be at risk to vermin. None of the cables are clipped anywhere.

Edited by daiking