Bathroom snagging

Not unlike Mr Harris I have a bathroom to tidy up. Doing the final 90% of niggly, PITA tasks that should have been done at the time. Not exclusively but off the top of my head:

1. Completely replace the vinyl interlocking tile flooring (including removal of toilet and repair/replace sections of floorboards and 6mm ply subfloor)
  2. Fix bath waste trap leak

3. Fix bath tap fixing leak

4. Make access panel for tile bath panel

5. Seal up old loft hatch

6. Rake out and fill ceiling cracks

7. Replace some wall plaster

8. Paint door and replace ironmongery

9. Seal up inside former airing cupboard

10. Replace light in cupboard

11. Put shelving in cupboard

12. Replace cupboard doors

13. Replace MDF window sill with tiles, sealing, insulating underneath.

14. Fit trim to drawer unit base

15. Clean sink of PU foam residue

16. Re-fix bathroom mirror

I really need to fit a ceiling extractor fan too. I’ve had a tile vent fitted in the roof and could manage physically fitting a fan unit of sorts but couldn’t do the wiring at the moment unless someone walked me through it. Sticking heated mirror pad on the back of the bathroom mirror is another on the wishlist.

No doubt I will remember more as I start work this weekend.

****ing plumbers

image_3.jpeg

Need to cut this section and patch (old toothpaste came out of this hole)

image_4.jpeg

Old airing cupboard doors are severely warped so I plan on replacing with MR MDF

image_5.jpeg

I tidied up the inside last summer but missus wants built in shelves not a standalone unit (I've already taken out), the light needs swapping for a ceiling mounted one or bullhead, not a pendant and there's a part that is still brickwork inside the left door.

image_6.jpeg

image_7.jpeg

Cracks in ceiling to take out with multitool and fill and seal up that old loft hatch to stop steam getting into the cold loft.

image_8.jpeg

I feel for you I really do. Having an old house myself where EVERYTHING needs redoing pretty much makes me very envious of those who knock down / rebuild and have a clean slate rather than dealing with old cr@p all the time! 

On 23 July 2016 at 16:49, Onoff said:

I feel for you I really do. Having an old house myself where EVERYTHING needs redoing pretty much makes me very envious of those who knock down / rebuild and have a clean slate rather than dealing with old cr@p all the time! 

And finding old horrors lurking in the shadows...

image_11.jpeg

although it could have been caused by the plumber when he set fire to the bathroom detritus that time...

8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

How's that still in there? You've had a combi conversion. :S

In the 'ole with all the other sh*t.

It wasn't connected or anything as we renewed all the electrics too. As I say, I first thought it was electrically damaged but now I think about it it could have been burnt by the plumber when he set fire to all the crap trapped in the hole under the hot water tank platform 

6 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I thought I had a 'problem' with me hoovering out joist voids and the such before boarding up / over. Seems you have had a treasure trove left for you. Never a dull moment eh? o.O

Hoovering between joists and other never to be seen again places....music  to my ears! Other people miss the point. Drives me nuts when I see piles of wood shavings where joists have been drilled.

On 7/23/2016 at 16:49, Onoff said:

I don't know, there's still quite a few mistakes made when building from scratch with the inevitable 'I should have thought about that'!

I was obsessive about photographing every inch of the house before plastering but every time we get to a tricky area and go to the photos, it's either not there or burred or under exposed etc :) 

14 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

I was obsessive about photographing every inch of the house

Weirdo! Why would anyone do that? ;) Next thing you'll have filled up your Photobucket like "a mate of mine" has.....

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Weirdo! Why would anyone do that? ;) Next thing you'll have filled up your Photobucket like "a mate of mine" has.....

My bucket is only 15% full, you must have taken a lot of photos...

11 minutes ago, daiking said:

And all of the one room.....xD

Tbh I've gone back to Flickr having dabbled with Tinypic. Flickr is just so much easier to use, not limited to uploading 5 pics at a time and just seems slicker. Tinypic I find has pop ups and ads. Only at 0.3% used on Flickr. Think though maybe it's  more "public"?

Edited by Onoff

This turning into a nightmare. Got about 2 weeks more work left than I thought there was when I started.

1) Taken a small section of wall off as it needed doing - I thought I could board and paint it myself rather than paying for a skim (its behind the door). Only to find the original board had been subtly 'curved' round the stud to fit in meaning I'll have to use 9.5mm board and have a bump to blend in where it joins the existing at the corner.

2) Bath leaks at the tap mount and tiled panel makes it impossible (for a mortal) to get at. Cut out another tile to improve access, almost possible now but removing further parts of the panel probably won't even help much. Might just have to seal the tap base to the bath - which isn't easy when its an inch in from of the wall.

3) The floor is supremely manky. The toilet itself doesn't seem to have leaked but kids pissing on the floor means its got under the vinyl tiles (interlock not adhesive), at least the underlay has seemed to stop the majority getting to the wood. Also some water coming from the toilet itself somewhere. and dripping on the floor anchors. I suspect that its the kids pissing on the seat anchors and finding its way down that way. Otherwise it could be the pan/cistern joint but it looks ok to me.

4) 2/3 of the 6mm ply I put down to bed the vinyl tiles needs replacing after being cut up and a section of floor boards need replacing but I couldn't find matching floorboards yesterday so I'll probably get a piece of 22mm P5 flooring and cut it like a jigsaw puzzle piece to cover everything as a single bit. Need to paint the shelves and doors for the cupboard which I know is going to make ages. So best get started...

Edited by daiking

Just had a good idea regarding retrofitting hard-wired smoke alarms as my bathroom destruction has yielded a route from loft to ground floor ceiling.

Wiring advice required later but for now, mechanical protection when cables are hidden in a stud wall? Will a length of metal conduit do the job? Presume that plastic does not offer mechanical protection.

On 28/07/2016 at 22:36, daiking said:

Love your shot of the candlelit dinner in the middle of the building site! Wish my missus had a GSOH! xD

On 31 July 2016 at 19:48, daiking said:

This turning into a nightmare. Got about 2 weeks more work left than I thought there was when I started.

1) Taken a small section of wall off as it needed doing - I thought I could board and paint it myself rather than paying for a skim (its behind the door). Only to find the original board had been subtly 'curved' round the stud to fit in meaning I'll have to use 9.5mm board and have a bump to blend in where it joins the existing at the corner.

2) Bath leaks at the tap mount and tiled panel makes it impossible (for a mortal) to get at. Cut out another tile to improve access, almost possible now but removing further parts of the panel probably won't even help much. Might just have to seal the tap base to the bath - which isn't easy when its an inch in from of the wall.

3) The floor is supremely manky. The toilet itself doesn't seem to have leaked but kids pissing on the floor means its got under the vinyl tiles (interlock not adhesive), at least the underlay has seemed to stop the majority getting to the wood. Also some water coming from the toilet itself somewhere. and dripping on the floor anchors. I suspect that its the kids pissing on the seat anchors and finding its way down that way. Otherwise it could be the pan/cistern joint but it looks ok to me.

4) 2/3 of the 6mm ply I put down to bed the vinyl tiles needs replacing after being cut up and a section of floor boards need replacing but I couldn't find matching floorboards yesterday so I'll probably get a piece of 22mm P5 flooring and cut it like a jigsaw puzzle piece to cover everything as a single bit. Need to paint the shelves and doors for the cupboard which I know is going to make ages. So best get started...

100% valid if my kids are anything to go by >:(

Its like a scene out of ghostbusters.....

"never cross the streams" ☔️

10 hours ago, daiking said:

Just had a good idea regarding retrofitting hard-wired smoke alarms as my bathroom destruction has yielded a route from loft to ground floor ceiling.

Wiring advice required later but for now, mechanical protection when cables are hidden in a stud wall? Will a length of metal conduit do the job? Presume that plastic does not offer mechanical protection.

Have a look here:

http://www.hager.co.uk/news-exhibitions-case-studies/news/amendment-3-to-bs-7671-2008/consumer-unit-selection/36231.htm

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

No real need tbh, unless it's in particularly dodgy place. 

I can probably "safe zone" it within 150mm of a corner or by putting the extractor isolator there later 

6 hours ago, Onoff said:

Love your shot of the candlelit dinner in the middle of the building site! Wish my missus had a GSOH! xD

She hasn't really

6 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

100% valid if my kids are anything to go by >:(

Its like a scene out of ghostbusters.....

"never cross the streams" ☔️

I was never happy with the bathroom but it was all done in a rush before moving in. It'll just get bodged and looked at when the ceiling below comes down.

every hole/joint/fastener will get filled with clear sealant. Probably use  waterproof PVA on the tile joints as it will flow but sealant on the taps and toilet stuff, even the toilet seat fixings. I just can't get to the tap nuts to refit the bath taps.

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

Probably wont bother on the above basis of a safe zone, only plastic for cabling convenience, not protection.

22 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

If it's the same tap connectors that came off, they should 'fly' ( :/ ) back on. Are they SpeedFit tap connectors? Eg plastic not metal, or are they flexis?

The plumbing is fine (I think) it's the tap seating on the bath is letting water through and dripping down the pipes onto the floorboards. 

The nut seems tights but I can't get enough access to undo the tap connectors and the tap nuts.