Chimneys with lead trays and render

vfrdave

How would you finish the render on these chimneys where the lead trays are.  I can see the point of the folded lead but it doesnt exactly leave it easy or neat to render to.

Could the fold be trimmed off and the lead meshed and rendered over?

Advice welcome

IMG_20171202_144452.jpg

IMG_20171202_144500.jpg

IMG_20171202_144655.jpg

Ideally you want to stop the render above the tray, then put new render below and dress the lead over it.

TBH the amount of leakage on a chimney these days with a proper weather cowl on it is negligible and trays are rare to find - cracking of flaunching is more of an issue with older chimneys too, and its rare to see trays fitted to newer ones.

31 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

How would you finish the render on these chimneys where the lead trays are.  I can see the point of the folded lead but it doesnt exactly leave it easy or neat to render to.

Could the fold be trimmed off and the lead meshed and rendered over?

Advice welcome

IMG_20171202_144452.jpg

IMG_20171202_144500.jpg

IMG_20171202_144655.jpg

I cut my tray back to 50 mil flattened it to the block and put two wraps either side and meshed over the whole chimney Leaving the wraps exsposed As already pointed out very unlikely to get much rain down there In the unlikely event The weaps would let any moister out 

5BC1D7A5-3024-4623-A19B-A11F25390D8F.jpeg

12 minutes ago, nod said:

two wraps either side and meshed over the whole chimney Leaving the wraps exsposed

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by wraps.

I have fairly beefy caps on the top of the chimneys now so as you say water is not likely to get down

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Ideally you want to stop the render above the tray, then put new render below and dress the lead over it.

+1

I think in this case you could find a stop bead with a wide mesh (or separate mesh) and fit that lower down so the mesh covers the lead. Would need to use stainless steel screws and SS or lead washers to fix the mesh through the flashing into the brick before rendering.

Google found photos of something similar..

https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz_photos/ben-hockey-roofing-chalvington?select=_LLkfuZwwPUKDobw-N4RiQ

52 minutes ago, Temp said:

Just a check but... Are there soakers under the lead and slate? 

Yes there are soakers under the lead and slate.

I can understand the stop bead running in line with the pitch of the roof, but the horizontal one doesnt seem right when the render will continue below that stop bead or am I missing something.

You could mesh and render right over the lead on the face but I wasn't sure how to do the corner where you have that small flap/triangle of lead. With a stop bead that bit of lead comes out from under the bead. If you render down to that triangle of lead and the lead moves I thought the render might crack in that area.