Sealing Around A Hob

Onoff

My mates kitchen. Following on from his knocking the hole in the ceramic hob. He's getting there!

IMG-20180702-WA0007.thumb.jpg.7c44376831a8e0aadadf966ef2886244.jpg

His induction hob (like mine tbh) simply sits with a foam rubber gasket between the underside and the worktop.

Should it also then be siliconed?

7 minutes ago, cherryfountain said:

Follow the manufacturers fitting instructions.They normally just use the foam strip and clips so the hob can be easily removed at a later date .

Also the ventilation is critical on these hobs , follow the instructions or the warranty will be void.

The manufacturers likely won't say to silicon the edge. AFAIC it's a belt and braces to stop debris getting in there. If it's anything like the strip on my induction hob then there's no air flow route through there anyway. 

I went a bit ott with mine and routed the top strip to get some air flow through there figuring there's a nominal gap above the doors when they're on:

SAM_4595.thumb.jpg.f2d68bb13b56ae7eb3d53923ad29b116.jpg

SAM_4592.thumb.jpg.02991f9289884821ac517640007b59d4.jpg

I don't like to silicone a hob down, your might never get it out in one piece.  but I DO seal the cut edges of the hole in thew worktop so if any water does get through it won't bugger it.

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I don't like to silicone a hob down, your might never get it out in one piece.  but I DO seal the cut edges of the hole in thew worktop so if any water does get through it won't bugger it.

I neat PVA'd my hole... 

SAM_4539.thumb.jpg.c53d984c6539e3ae2dccd93fd8c615fe.jpg

My foam strip is so close to the edge of the glass I really can't see that a small bead of generic silicon would stick the hob down so much that a deft whip around the edge with a blade wouldn't free it.