Any refrigeration experts here (ASHP)?

ProDave

Mine runs at around 25 litres per minute and cuts out at around 15 litres per minute, so sounds similar.  It's one reason I couldn't run our UFH at first, as the restriction was too great, so I had to fit an adjustable bypass to get the flow rate up (this was before I connected the buffer tank with the valve normally open in heating mode).  It does seem that ASHPs are a bit sensitive to flow rate, which is useful to know,.

What is completely mad in this case, is nowhere in the installation manual does it actually state the minimum water flow rate required for the unit to operate.  I can't help feeling their technical department waste a lot of time answering this simple question that should be stated in the manual.

45 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Well word came back from the manufacturer this morning that the flow switch is "set at 10 litres per minute +- 3 litres"  So I guess my indicated 14 litres per minute just wasn't quite enough.

Not that I am ever likely to be fitting an ASHP but just so that I get this right in my head having followed this thread from the start, is10l per minute +/- 3l from 7l per min to 13l per min? If so 14l per min is more ?. I’m clearly missing something very obvious to those who understand it more ?

Good news though as this saga has dragged on for a while. Must be a relief to have it sorted. And now you can start that promised thread on system performance :)

Edited by newhome
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What is completely mad in this case, is nowhere in the installation manual does it actually state the minimum water flow rate required for the unit to operate.  I can't help feeling their technical department waste a lot of time answering this simple question that should be stated in the manual.

There's nothing in the manual for ours that gives this either.  I kept getting error messages and the unit shutting down until I worked out what the problem was.  Luckily the integral pump in ours is capably of flowing over 25 litres per minute, so as soon as I realised that the UFH was the restriction the fix was easy.

23 minutes ago, newhome said:

Not that I am ever likely to be fitting an ASHP but just so that I get this right in my head having followed this thread from the start, is10l per minute +/- 3l from 7l per min to 13l per min? If so 14l per min is more ?. I’m clearly missing something very obvious to those who understand it more ?

We're equally confused, because I thought the same thing.

My ASHP kept throwing an error message until I rang the tech help line and they talked me through changing the pump speed.

I assume they expect ASHPs will be installed by trained installers, but even our instruction manual doesn't mention much about flow rates from memory.