Cleaning Copper Pipe Pre Soldering

Onoff

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Should have added I don't think theres any benefit here in dismantling the joints youve already done either. Their Yorkshire, so would have made themselves off as per my previous. 

Even if I've overheated the Hell out of them...more than once? :(

I've just ordered £30 worth of propane & lead free solder for the last couple :(

37 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I've just ordered £30 worth of propane & lead free solder for the last couple :(

I very much doubt you've caused the weld to not form by overshooting the sweet spot. They may not look it, given that you've actually started to anneal the copper there, but the weld would have formed long before that. 

Re-solder as per my instruction and report the results #2. ;)

9 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I very much doubt you've caused the weld to not form by overshooting the sweet spot. They may not look it, given that you've actually started to anneal the copper there, but the weld would have formed long before that. 

Re-solder as per my instruction and report the results #2. ;)

Won't know the result until I turn the water on!

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I think a bottle of Mapp lasts me 12-18 months and I’ve done about 2-300 joints off the current half full can ...... how much heat are you putting into those joints ..??!!  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I think a bottle of Mapp lasts me 12-18 months and I’ve done about 2-300 joints off the current half full can ...... how much heat are you putting into those joints ..??!!  

Not run out of MAPP, in fact I've a new bottle in the shed off the back of a job (I use MAPP with ZILT sticks to repair galvanised coatings). Only getting the propane to try less heat.

What's weird is I soldered the "valve" assembly using the same method and materials; wire wool, IPA clean, Templars flux, Powerflow leaded solder on Yorkshires. Used MAPP gas at the max flame setting. They came out fine...I thought. No blackening etc. I wonder if this was because I did it OUTSIDE thus the flame wasn't so hot?

20180527_144824

20180527_191603

20180529_193619

5 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Just too much heat, it's blatantly obvious so no need to think about it :)

Just re-solder as per my last and it'll be all gravy, baby. ?

I splashed out on new Fernox lead free solder...£18 for 500g! :(

On 30/05/2018 at 14:50, Nickfromwales said:

Just too much heat, it's blatantly obvious so no need to think about it :)

Just re-solder as per my last and it'll be all gravy, baby. ?

Where is the begrudgingly, face like a smacked arse, you're right as usual emoji?

Did the new ones and went over the "old" like you said. Propane/lead free/Templars:

IMG_20180531_151151130.thumb.jpg.c31dcf0be2e646c1d87e3f6946388cea.jpg

IMG_20180531_151132745.thumb.jpg.3d7d3b79c157ed8f34a3d81d3e58327f.jpg

IMG_20180531_151122942.thumb.jpg.a3ebf703e5ee720eb060231f1fb097f6.jpg

:ph34r:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Did you put that one through a lathe ? ?

Nah, good, innit? Beginners luck I reckon.

Just got to sort the en suite shower when the new bar mounting kit comes, hopefully tomorrow and I can test all 25 soldered & 5 + compression joints.

Edited by Onoff

En suite shower back up and running, 14 soldered and 10 compression joints holding steady!

Going to drag an old paddling pool into the bathroom to test the rainfall head which should prove the soldered joints I was worried about! :)

Cool. 

Now all you have to do is wipe that chuffing rise and fall malarky out of your mind and crack the feck on with boarding and tiling. ;)  

If you stay focussed it can be done for xmas........THIS xmas. Imagine going in there JUST to jump in the bath with a beer and the bluetooth.

FOCUS damnit. FOCUS!!!! 

• Thanks 1